PDA

View Full Version : Tapping 2010

Pages : 1 [2]

Sugarmaker
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Boyd,
You did a nice job getting 130 gallons on those taps with this weather. Way to hang in there! Those pans must have worked well too!
Yea I am spoiled with the draw off too. I did have it stick open a couple times this year, the sugar sand flakes got caught in the valve :(

Regards,
Chris

tapper
04-04-2010, 06:54 AM
I have 250 tubing taps on all red maples. I was reluctant to put a tubing system on them because at times the reds just do not produce sap. Well this was one of those seasons. That pipeline produced less than 100 gallons for most of the season. The last run was around 150 gallons but it was so late I didnt even boil it. We had such great tasting syrup from the sugars and I didnt want to spoil it.
I also have another tubing system with 150 taps mostly sugars on that. It performed poorly also. The 250 buckets we had up was the only thing that saved the season. We are on top of a hill and we went 2 weeks straight with very little to no freeze.
March 4th was the latest I have ever tapped in 15 years. No sap till the 9th and then not much of a freeze until March 28th. The best run of the season was April 1st 480 gallons all on buckets.

berry boy
04-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Well got most all cleaned up for season, ended up with 169 gal. on 754 taps with vac. Big differance from the 400 goal. Adding an RO for next year I threw away 900 gal of late sap because the oil would cost too much to boil c grade. Have a lot of changes to make before next season. Happy Easter to All. Phil

jrthe3
04-04-2010, 09:12 AM
chris i had i wire come loose in the valve and it not open i just happen to look at read out it was 228 degrees a got it all off don't know how i didn't kill the pans

Sugarmaker
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Byod,
Yikes! a couple more degrees and you could have had a nice batch of maple cream ready :)
Yea these gadgets are nice but you have to still watch it ( the evaporator ) all the time.

Washing tubing and getting stuff cleaned up.
Home sick today with nasty head and chest cold. YUK:(
Regards,
Chris

Gary R
04-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Guy's, I'm looking hard at tubing. I called Karl Evans tonight. He's a dealer in Ohio, west of Greenville. He's having a maple seminar next Tuesday from 3 to 7. Brad Gilliand from Leader will be there. Wanted to let you all know.

heus
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Guy's, I'm looking hard at tubing. I called Karl Evans tonight. He's a dealer in Ohio, west of Greenville. He's having a maple seminar next Tuesday from 3 to 7. Brad Gilliand from Leader will be there. Wanted to let you all know.

So I take it this is open to the public, Gary? I may just go and check it out.

Turtlecreek
05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I just put the rest of my buckets away, they have been clean since the end of the season, I have just been lazy. The other day while taking my gun for a walk, I mean turkey hunting, I was looking at maples. I haven't
got a turkey yet but I have heard them, there is this guy that comes in off of another property and just walks all around and I thin that scares them all off.

Today a neighbor and I are going to do a little flyfishing in a small stream. I would like to go to Penns creek over by paddymountain's place but we will see.

That's about it from here. Hope everyone is going well

Steve