PDA

View Full Version : Olympics and syrup!!

Buckeye mapler
02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Did anyone see the lady snowboarder who is from Vermont? She has her own charity and she sells syrup to raise funds. They even showed a bottle of our beloved bottled gold last night! And how about the U.S.A. vs. Canada hockey showdown coming on Sunday! Hey Maple Leaf countrymen, wanna bet a bottle a syrup who's gonna win? Loser pays shipping too! :D Go USA

newman_maple
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.hannahsgold.com/

Hannah Teter sells it for charity. Pretty neat to see maple syrup get some attention!

KenWP
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Buckeye mapler;99048]Did anyone see the lady snowboarder who is from Vermont? She has her own charity and she sells syrup to raise funds. They even showed a bottle of our beloved bottled gold last night! And how about the U.S.A. vs. Canada hockey showdown coming on Sunday! Hey Maple Leaf countrymen, wanna bet a bottle a syrup who's gonna win? Loser pays shipping too! :D Go USA[/QU

I would bet but what do I want more syrup for except to say I won it after the first period.

Buckeye mapler
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Aaah, I don't know, what if it comes down to another sudden death shootout for you all!:o

maplecrest
02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
ya she spends 2 days a year here. but has been a good syrup customer in the past.

KenWP
02-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Well 8-0 is not sudden death. I haven't watched a hochey game in 20 some years. Probbably won't for another 20 years.

Buckeye mapler
02-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Just having some fun. I know US would have to play their asses off to make it to the gold medal match, but I would guess it will be Canada and Russia there and really that will be a great game to watch. The US is making theirselve's at home there in Vancouver though in other events. ;)

farmall h
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
She is also naming a new flavor for Ben & Jerry's ice cream. The radio this morning had her telling it to be "coffee oreo". ?!

Buckeye mapler
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Ken wp,
you better save yourself a little syrup to put on that crow!

Doc
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Good Game!!!!
5-3
:)

KenWP
02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Who won. Canada probbably fell asleep at the wheel again. CLUCK CLUCK.

Buckeye mapler
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
US 'AY:lol:

KenWP
02-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I just had a big helping of maple syrup on a gold medal for HOCKEY. I should have taken some kind of bet. The way the weather is who knows if I get any syrup any other way.

Buckeye mapler
02-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh, now we hear from him. the bet was on the first game that you won 8-0 in the first period. And I can't help but think how this one almost came down to another shootout. Wow, what a prediction that would have been . Not bad though for USA. 2 undefeated teams (mens and womens) going into the gold medal game and losing to a team that invented the sport at home. I know this was the one that meant the most to Canada, but what was the total medal count? :o

KenWP
02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
We had this discussion at Lodge friday night. Besides getting the most gold medals but fewer argent and bronze Canada had many 4th and 5th places instead of 9 and 10 like usual so they figure we did good. I never watch sports as I couldn't do them as a kid due to a leg brace . I just like ragging people on. Devils Advocate they call me.

Treetapper
02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Did anyone see the lady snowboarder who is from Vermont? She has her own charity and she sells syrup to raise funds. They even showed a bottle of our beloved bottled gold last night! And how about the U.S.A. vs. Canada hockey showdown coming on Sunday! Hey Maple Leaf countrymen, wanna bet a bottle a syrup who's gonna win? Loser pays shipping too! :D Go USA

Just saw your post. Missed out on a bottle of "made in the USA" syrup. What a great game. Both teams played very well. I'm happy and proud to see Team Canada win Gold on home ice. It has been said that this game was bigger for Canadians than the Super Bowl. Hard to beat that kind of spirit!

Have to say though I think Canadians and Americans share the same National pride & spirit. I saw a poster from a Canadian military base over sea's that sums it up. "Brothers In Arms, Just Not On The Ice"!

Treetapper
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Oh, now we hear from him. the bet was on the first game that you won 8-0 in the first period. And I can't help but think how this one almost came down to another shootout. Wow, what a prediction that would have been . Not bad though for USA. 2 undefeated teams (mens and womens) going into the gold medal game and losing to a team that invented the sport at home. I know this was the one that meant the most to Canada, but what was the total medal count? :o

Gold Medals? Canada achieved the most gold medals of ANY country, ever. Even the good ol USA, Eh.

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Most ever in Olympics or in Winter Olympics?

I think the USA branded some *** in the 1996 Summer games in Atlanta, GA.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-games-results/atlanta1996.html

Russia had the record in Winter Olympics gold medals prior to Canada's 14.

The USA won 83 total golds in the 1984 summer Olympics. Still a record!

I would say it is safe to say that a vast majority of the United States is not a WINTER TUNDRA like Canada and Russia and a few other countries. But per capita, we produce some very competetive athletes in the winter sports including one Shaun White who is "pioneering" the sport of snowboarding. The USA has alot more warm weather spots and seasons making it a natural summer olympic power house and it shows. I don't think too many other countries can say they do quite well in summer Olympics considering their climate being vastly opposite. Adding homefield advantage only helps more.

With that being said, I was quite shocked KenWp was not running around on the ice at the closing ceremonies with a bottle of syrup! :lol: I really thought that during the Made in Canada parade they would have showed a bottle of syrup. I guess the lumberjacks already ate it!

johnallin
03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Go Canada!!!!!!! As a 7th generation Canadian - we moved stateside in 61 and have 4 grandfathers buried in family plot in Sunderland Ontario - I am proud to be Canadian and even prouder after the game yesterday.

Ken WP - I am one of the few "Canadian" speaking people in Ohio:lol:

Treetapper
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Most ever in Olympics or in Winter Olympics?

I think the USA branded some *** in the 1996 Summer games in Atlanta, GA.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-games-results/atlanta1996.html

Russia had the record in Winter Olympics gold medals prior to Canada's 14.

The USA won 83 total golds in the 1984 summer Olympics. Still a record!

I would say it is safe to say that a vast majority of the United States is not a WINTER TUNDRA like Canada and Russia and a few other countries. But per capital, we produce some very competitive athletes in the winter sports including one Shaun White who is "pioneering" the sport of snowboarding. The USA has a lot more warm weather spots and seasons making it a natural summer Olympic power house and it shows. I don't think too many other countries can say they do quite well in summer Olympics considering their climate being vastly opposite. Adding home field advantage only helps more.

With that being said, I was quite shocked KenWp was not running around on the ice at the closing ceremonies with a bottle of syrup! :lol: I really thought that during the Made in Canada parade they would have showed a bottle of syrup. I guess the lumberjacks already ate it!

I was referring to the Winter Olympics not the summer. That is what we are talking about here, but thank-you for trying to steal our thunder.LOL. I am not suggesting that the USA is not a strong dominant force in any sport, but the fact still remains Canada did kick *** in the winter games this year. Yes, home field advantage does help, but you still need world class athletes competing to bring it home! Contrary to the beliefs of some, Canada is not a "winter tundra" The vast majority of Canada's population lives in southern half of Canada. The southern half has four seasons just like the northern half of the United States Summer temps can exceed 100 degrees. I believe the population of the northern half of the United States has as much or more population than ALL of Canada.
Per ca-pita, USA should win more medals.

Canada can win with pride and dignity just like we can lose with pride and dignity. Deal with it,:rolleyes: LOL. Enough about that, lets concentrate on the task at hand.
Cheers

Treetapper
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
We had this discussion at Lodge friday night. Besides getting the most gold medals but fewer argent and bronze Canada had many 4th and 5th places instead of 9 and 10 like usual so they figure we did good. I never watch sports as I couldn't do them as a kid due to a leg brace . I just like ragging people on. Devils Advocate they call me.

Another proud Canadian! Keep up the good work Ken.

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Treetapper, How far are you from the nearest natural snowy mountain that can be skied on? Honestly? As far as Ken being so bold. He did not take my bet on the first USA versus Canada match-up or I would be looking for my syrup in the mail. Would love to see a tie breaker game between them like in the stanley cups. Bigger than the super-bowl, well when your country is only known for one sport it better be big. We have basketball, baseball, football. Canada couldn't put a football team together to match-up with the USA even if we let you use your 12th man.

Treetapper
03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Go Canada!!!!!!! As a 7th generation Canadian - we moved stateside in 61 and have 4 grandfathers buried in family plot in Sunderland Ontario - I am proud to be Canadian and even prouder after the game yesterday.

Ken WP - I am one of the few "Canadian" speaking people in Ohio:lol:

johnallen, Sunderland is a beautiful area. I am also a 7'th generation Canadian living and operating the family farm that was settled by my great, great, great, Grandfather in 1803. My ancestors came from the USA! United Empire Loyalists. I think its safe to say that the entire Winter Olympics has given all Canadians a real boost of Canadian Pride.

But if Canada ever losses to any one, I would like it to be the USA. Still "Brothers in Arms"!

KenWP
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
My family was another one of those King George followers to Sault St Marie and Gramma was born in Ohio. I like yanks most of the time until they show golf on tv. I only have one channel and golf is not something I watch.
I will always be part cowboy from growing up on a cattle ranch and part polar bear from living in a cold climate. Whimps here in Quebec have no idea what cold is until your calving out cows in Jan. in the prairies.

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Just saw your post. Missed out on a bottle of "made in the USA" syrup. What a great game. Both teams played very well. I'm happy and proud to see Team Canada win Gold on home ice. It has been said that this game was bigger for Canadians than the Super Bowl. Hard to beat that kind of spirit!

Have to say though I think Canadians and Americans share the same National pride & spirit. I saw a poster from a Canadian military base over sea's that sums it up. "Brothers In Arms, Just Not On The Ice"!

The bet was for the first match-up. Hannah Teter is the girl who has the charity. It was when they due those little biography type stories on the athlete before they compete. It only showed it for a couple of seconds, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Treetapper
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Buckeye mapler;101789]Treetapper, How far are you from the nearest natural snowy mountain that can be skied on? Honestly? As far as Ken being so bold. He did not take my bet on the first USA versus Canada match-up or I would be looking for my syrup in the mail. Would love to see a tie breaker game between them like in the stanley cups. Bigger than the super-bowl, well when your country is only known for one sport it better be big. We have basketball, baseball, football. Canada couldn't put a football team together to match-up with the USA even if we let you use your 12th
man

Wow. With all due respect, you really sound bitter about your Country getting a Silver Medal. You should be proud. I can assure you Canada is known for way more than 1 sport. You should think about getting some Canadian content in your knowledge base before making unfriendly statements. It sounds like its not fair that a particular team lost because of some Olympic competition rule. ALL the teams were playing under the same set of rules. Should the USA get more chances than any other team? I think in this case, Team Canada proved to the world they are worthy Olympic Champions.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Our CFL as far as I can tell has a lot of yank players. Me I could care less. I am a charter member of the We hate the great one fan club. I just like to see somebody other then Russians and Soviet Block countries win once in a while. Now all the Canadain players can return to the US to play hockey and the US ones can come back to Canada and away we go for four more years.
Now lets get back to maple like were supposed to and have fun. A puck by the way is called a rondelle in French and is a female word. Another peice of useless info.

johnallin
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
johnallen, Sunderland is a beautiful area. I am also a 7'th generation Canadian living and operating the family farm that was settled by my great, great, great, Grandfather in 1803. My ancestors came from the USA! United Empire Loyalists. I think its safe to say that the entire Winter Olympics has given all Canadians a real boost of Canadian Pride.

But if Canada ever losses to any one, I would like it to be the USA. Still "Brothers in Arms"!

We also orignially came from the USA, settled in Jamestown 1700 something and left for Canada as Loyalists. Our Dad always wanted to come back here so in 1961 he and Mon packed us kids (5) up and we left all aunts, uncles and cousins and headed south...our skates, sticks and all.

Sunderland Cemetary is across the road from a farm implement dealer. Been there a few times with Dad and between us there were 6 generations on/in that ground. Special place to me.

Yes "I am Canadian", and anyone who knows me is well aware of that fact.:)

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Not bitter at all. I am just saying enough tooting your own horns. I have pointed out that the USA did very well in those games. The medal count says it all. You should score alot of golds in your home country. No one practices on those courses more. When I get off subject we are supposed to get back to maple talk, but you are all talking about what parts of Canada you are from and that in itself has nothing to do with MAPLE SYRUP. And by the way, this is under the tapping OHIO section right? Isn't there a section you all can talk about your ancestory under say tapping CANADA. There must have been something about the great states that brought you or your families here. I asked out of fun to make a bet for a bottle of syrup out of purely good taste. I got a rather cocky response in my opinion. Something about the game being over by the 1rst period in favor of Canada. USA won and I thought it fair to point out over-cockiness coming back to bite 'em. No one hears from him on this thread until a week later when Canada redeems themselves and then here come the rest of the Leaves to chime in like song birds on a Sunday morning. I guarentee there wouldn't have been another Canadian response to this thread since Ken Wp said "who won?" if USA had won the gold. And, by the way name another popular Canadian invented sport that has professional leagues!

Now, let's talk syrup.

johnallin
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Canada couldn't put a football team together to match-up with the USA even if we let you use your 12th man.

Buckeye...come on man chill a bit it's all ok - now you're sounding kind of cocky, just let it go.

And the part about all the "leaves" chiming in? Been called hoser, hockey puck, Cannuck, crazy Canadian and lots of others, but never a leaf. Canadians are just as proud of their heritage as anyone else and they did just win the gold in hockey, and it is a huge thing - period.

We all need to make syrup and get all this agression out of our systems. Go Bucks!

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh, I am chill, now if my Buckeyes lost to that school up north between OHIO and Canada, then I would be upset. Very soar indeed. I really was just pointing out the difference between the USA's strength (summer games) and how well they did considering this. And of course I was defensive after losing the gold to a strong Canadian team. I was very shocked they won the first one and I had said in a post to Ken WP that they would have to play their *** off. I made the remark about a tie breaker not in a soar loser way, but because they were both great games to watch and that kind of competition deserves it. Not because I felt they should change the rules for the US. It would answer the question did the USA fluke in the first game or were they down the second? Just would be a good tie breaker is all. I am still very curious what other sport that Canada invented that carries a professional leauge to it. :confused: And don't take that in the wrong way either cause I just for the life of me can't think of one. I am very into sports so the remark about doing some Canada research before I make comments was ill. I am pretty familiar with alot of sports and their heritages. I knew that Canada uses 12 men in football because I played a Canadian football team in high school. I went to Moeller High School in Cincinnati. We beat them so bad that by mid way through the 3rd quarter, the refs didn't stop the clock even for injuries. They were the top division champs in Canada the 2 previous seasons. We said there is only one way this team would have gave us a game and that would have been if we all had to put on ice skates and play the game on ice.
Moellers hockey team played that team in Hockey that year with reverse results. And Moeller's hockey team is not too shabby. For along time we were the only high school with a hockey team in this area.

At any rate, no hard feelings and enjoy your glory. You have two years to live it up, then there is the 2012 SUMMER olympics. ;)

Treetapper
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Believe it or not, Basket Ball was "invented" in Canada as well. Hope you have a great syrup season in Ohio.

Buckeye mapler
03-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Not so. It was invented by another Canadian living in the........ USA. This time it cost them the thunder of inventing this sport. It goes down as an American invented sport. See link below.

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/117.html

KenWP
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Unfortunatly he's right. Naismith was a Canauck but invented the game in Kansas owell at least it got invented. From his Bio I see he was a brother also so that's important to as that has no borders.
Me thinks we need to go drill holes in trees or get a tractor stuck in the bouette or something. This chest thumping is to much for me. If the stupid team had of won that first game we wouldn't have this conversation anyways.
Now if we could get one of these Canadain medal winners to show some intrest in maple we could get some place up here also. I never see it in the newspapers much or even the news on tv and it's actually a pretty important crop up here.

Buckeye mapler
03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
that is what I was saying about the made in Canada parade at the closing ceremonies. I mean the flag has a MAPLE leaf on it so you automatically think maple syrup. I guess the ceremony directors had a brain fart or something.