PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press

Farmboy
02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Someone told me they have a filterpress that they have had for 10 years in a box on a shelf in there barn. Its used and has all the plates but no pump. Its cast iron I think. I know its not stainless steel. It was sandblasted before it was put away for the last time. The guy that has it never made syrup he took it in trade on something. What should I offer him for it?

KenWP
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
A gallon of syrup as its going to take work to make it run again.

maplehound
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Pumps are very expensive but then so are the plates. The question is are the plates any good! I have never heard of someone sand blasting one of them before.

jrthe3
02-18-2010, 09:21 PM
the prob with some of the cast iron presses is the hole do not line up with the papers made today what i was told from leader when i found one of the cast iron presses with the off whole was that it was not made for the syrup industry that it prob was a waste water press

KenWP
02-18-2010, 09:29 PM
okay a quart of syrup. A gallon sounds like to much.

3rdgen.maple
02-18-2010, 11:24 PM
A quart of syrup then put it on ebay. With a half pint you would not produce enough syrup to fire it up unless you are like the rest of us and are ever expanding.

Haynes Forest Products
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
I would go look at it and see how bad it is. You can buy oversize filters and cut your own holes BIG DEAL. I missed a bronze Oberdorfer on ebay that went for about $125.00 so you can get a pump that can be made to work. Cast iron plates are sandblasted at the time of manuf. SO what. I might have them bead blasted oiled and after every use clean and oil till next time. I would bet that most people on this site that dont have a press would be pleased as can be if they resurected some BARN FIND into a working press in there operation. I would even look into getting the plates Plated with something to keep the rust down. And of course I would check with the manuf. to make sure the cast iron plates are FOOD GRADE:) I would bet that $150.00 for the complete plate housing would be worth it. Plus once inside the barn who knows what you might find.

Farmboy
02-19-2010, 06:19 AM
A quart of syrup then put it on ebay. With a half pint you would not produce enough syrup to fire it up unless you are like the rest of us and are ever expanding.

Next year I'm getting a 3X8 so I will get it working so I can use it next year. I am going to check it out in the next week. I'll let everyone no if I get it or not.

Haynes Forest Products
02-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Get it cheap but without insulting the guy and then clean it up a little and then put a reasonable price on it on the trader site and wait for all the nay sayers to bid on it:) :)

Brian Ryther
02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Haynes has the right idea. I know I would buy it to make my filter press into a double bank, stole the idea from Mapleworks,

maplwrks
02-19-2010, 09:45 AM
As soon as I find another cast press, I'm going to buy it and have my metal fabricator make me a double bank stand.

Amber Gold
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM
There's a double 10" on vermont's craigslist. That'll filter some syrup.

Mike, what's this years tap count?

maplwrks
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
2500 on good vacuum---1000 gravity and buckets

802maple
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Funny thing about that, I heard your fabricator was thinking today about whether you had bought a second one yet or not.

As soon as I find another cast press, I'm going to buy it and have my metal fabricator make me a double bank stand.

Brian Ryther
02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
OK Mike, who do you use for fabricating? MAC, Lou, Loius, Bernie???

maplwrks
02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
He posted right before you!!!

maple flats
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Check it out. Filter presses used to be cast iron but then the changed to cast aluminum. Cast iron has more mass so it will take longer to heat up and longer to cool down. If you run a lot of small batches cast iron might not be right for you but if you run bigger batches it might be good. Making the filter papers fit will work by cutting down a 10x10 and punching the holes but that would be something you would want to do before the season, too much hassel during the season. You mightget lucky and not need to re do them.
Check the price of a new pump and keep that in mind. If in good shape it might be worth about 30-40% of a new one after adding the pump. Price accordingly.

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Maplwrks Was checking out the pics on your site. I have the same pans as yours but 3x15 without the hood. I now have a set of extra finish pans due to forgetting to open the float box valve between the flue and finish pans:mad: I now have a flag taped to the valve so you cant walk by the rig if its shut. The flag sitick out as a reminder to open the valve. What year do you have?

Farmboy
02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Check it out. Filter presses used to be cast iron but then the changed to cast aluminum. Cast iron has more mass so it will take longer to heat up and longer to cool down. If you run a lot of small batches cast iron might not be right for you but if you run bigger batches it might be good. Making the filter papers fit will work by cutting down a 10x10 and punching the holes but that would be something you would want to do before the season, too much hassel during the season. You mightget lucky and not need to re do them.
Check the price of a new pump and keep that in mind. If in good shape it might be worth about 30-40% of a new one after adding the pump. Price accordingly.

Im going to check it out when I get some time. That probably wont be untill this seasons over. I will probably get it. If its too big for me next year it will get put in storage until I put out enough taps for it. Which wont take long once I get a new evaporator.

maplwrks
02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Haynes---My rig was built in 2003. I really like it, especially the lighted hoods!! With the high concentrate, and oil, I can crank out about 20 an hour