PDA

View Full Version : Agawam 2010

softmaple
02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
The taps went in last weekend, 169 to be exact. our most yet. it was one of my biggest collections i've ever made tonight. i will be boiling this weekend. hope the RO works cause im going to need it. we looking at mid 40s all week next week.

MapLewis
02-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Mike, Sounds like you are off to a great start....let us know how that R/O works out for you. Good luck!

softmaple
02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
We boiled 290 gallons this weekend at a rate of 38 gph with the aid of the RO on the 2x4. the RO is unreal. i kept checking the permeate to make sure i wasnt passing sugar, I found it amazing. it was concentrating to around 7%. The syrup tastes great too. Im gona have to find some more trees next year if i have all this extra time on my hands. also wood consumption went way way down it was around 1/4 cord, originaly it would be about a cord. retaining the 2x4 in our shack was crucial and the RO is key.

mapleman3
02-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Great Job Mike and Roseanne... Good luck with it... I'm still without a tap in a tree...

MapLewis
02-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Wow...that RO sounds like a huge improvement in efficiency... I'm in the same boat w/ my 2x4,..could squeeze in a 2x6, but i think your better off w/ a RO.
I may have to stop by and see how you have that set up. 38GPH is got to be exciting for you. congrats, good call w/ that purchase. Keep it humming. Good luck again...but it sound like you already have it!

mapleman3
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Mike and Rosanne.... Anything left in agawam to boil?? looks like the buds want your bees instead.. **** crappy season!

Good luck with the honey crop this year, you should fair much better than the syrup... hopefully we don't get the rain like last year.

softmaple
03-12-2010, 12:52 PM
well we have about 3 to 4 hours of a boil on saturday. maybe more i havnt been to all the collection sites since monday so who knows. im glad i didnt go with a bigger evaporator like i wanted to but instead going with the ro for years like this. only the sugar maples from the roadsides are running now. i got a nice new 16x24 syrup holding tank this week (for what?) i now have to make a stand and burner to hold it, summer project
im getting alergies already from something. the bees are quite active im suprised. if not as rainy as last year we may have some honey. that could turn the sameway as maple season too.