PDA

View Full Version : forced air

lefty
02-18-2010, 08:01 AM
first i want to say i visit maple trader every day ,its great. i have a barrel stove and i want to put forced air in. it is not air tight. i have a furnace blower will that work? when you put air in do you run a pipe with holes (manifold)under the grate ?if not what is the best way?thank you

RileySugarbush
02-18-2010, 08:55 AM
If you have a furnace blower that moves the air through your ducts that is way big for a barrel stove. You can regulate airflow easily by blocking the intake side of the blower with a sheet of metal or plywood and it will work fine. I think a furnace draft blower is probably close to what you want..

Run the air in under the grate, typically on the back or front of the ash pit and place a brick in front of the inlet to break up the air stream and diffuse it some. Play around with that arrangement without fire until you are happy with some air coming up through most of the grate area and give it a try. You will love how this helps your evaporation rate!

kinalfarm
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
if you boil outside it will work good, if you boil inside than you should try and make that sucker air tight. i put my blower on and after i fed the fire it was shooting smoke out of every little hole i didnt know i had. all air tight now and its nice. one big diference is my pans boil till the last coal is burnt out. and kicked my evap. rate up on my 2x6 about 5-7 gal/hr also knocked my start up time till i get my pans boiling down from an hour to 15-20 min. mine is adjustable and i like it that way because when i start the fire i just want a little air and after I have her full of wood i crank it up all the way.it also allows you to burn wet sood better if thats all you have. but with dry wood its even better. if mine wasnt fully bricked i think it would melt to the ground it gets so hot in my fire box.

murferd
02-18-2010, 07:57 PM
What CFM blower would be recommended for a 2x6

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Leader sells a 265 cfm for theirs.

morningstarfarm
02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
best and easiest blower that I found for my 2x6 is simply a standard stanley blower fan. got mine at wally world for around 40 bucks. It has 3 settings built in and on high it moves 350 cfm. The output fits nicely into a 3x6 fitting for forced hot air duct from home depot then run into 3" stovepipe.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2010, 06:44 AM
There are a ton of dayton or other brand squirrel cage blowers on ebay all the time and some go for good prices compared to new at graingers.

kinalfarm
02-19-2010, 04:15 PM
i have a 50-180 on my 2x6 could use a tad more so 200 or a little bigger would be nice.

RileySugarbush
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
i have a 50-180 on my 2x6 could use a tad more so 200 or a little bigger would be nice.

i have a 200 on my 2x6 could use a tad more so 300 or a little bigger would be nice. !!!!!!!!