PDA

View Full Version : New Vermonter Here

Brokermike
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm new to the site and new to sugaring (well kind of, new to owning my own stuff versus helping others).

I have an oil tank setup and just ordered a 2x4 pan and preheater to start the season. The real trick is going to be getting the sugarhouse built in time. I'll post pictures but the plan is a 10x18 in about 5 full days. Wish me luck

Mike

The Butcher
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Good Luck Mike!!

Sounds like you have your work cut out.

Homestead Maple
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Good luck Mike and have a great season.

vtsnowedin
02-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow!! I thought I was the top procrastinator in Vermont but you have me beat like a rented mule. What ground are you going to build this on and when did they suggest that you might get your pan?

Brokermike
02-18-2010, 05:14 AM
I should have the pan in a few days (fingers crossed). I'm building on top of a 12" base of "surpac" and 8x8 Pressure treated timbers on the base. I plan to build all of the walls in the comfort of my garage and use the tractor to bring them down the road to the sugar house and literally bolt them together.

vtsnowedin
02-18-2010, 05:51 AM
I should have the pan in a few days (fingers crossed). I'm building on top of a 12" base of "surpac" and 8x8 Pressure treated timbers on the base. I plan to build all of the walls in the comfort of my garage and use the tractor to bring them down the road to the sugar house and literally bolt them together.
Well that's a good approch. Let me guess that your working full time and have to squeeze this in next weekend just to make it interesting.

Brokermike
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
vtsnowedin Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokermike

Well that's a good approch. Let me guess that your working full time and have to squeeze this in next weekend just to make it interesting.

Bingo! My fiancee tends to describe me as one of those really motivated people once I get a project in my mind. I've been lucky with the weather so I'm hoping everything holds up to the schedule

vtsnowedin
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
What are you covering the walls with? i ended up with 8" wide shiplap planned one side from Bethel mills. I put it planned side out so I can paint or stain it next summer. Maybe red or maybe a stain that will match Grade A medium amber.:)

Brokermike
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I have bunch of channel cut rough cut left over from building the barn last year. hoping to use that up and not need to buy more

Brokermike
02-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Well I made some progress in just two days, but boy am I whipped. I need to order more siding, the roof goes on today, and should be finished by this Sunday!

How do i Shrink files to upload them?

Brokermike
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Yikes, It's done

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?p=102086#post102086