PDA

View Full Version : Dial Therometers how do you set them?

Jim and Kay Pepper
02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know how to set a dial thermoter? They are on each side of the evaporator and if you pull them out the sap will run out of the pan.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
The should have a little adjustable screw on the back of the unit I think. I always set my the first boil of the season with the raw sap in the syrup pan and don't bother them again.

I should say, I set mine 6 or 7 years ago and just check them the first boil of the season. They have never needed adjusted.

farmall h
02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Jim & Kay, I saved the instructions but they are in the box at the sugarhse. Here goes: Remove thermometer from draw-off box with wrench(7/16" I believe). DO NOT twist the dial. Once removed thread 1/4" ss plug in. At the top of the dial there is an allen wrench set screw that sets the dial. Boil a spagetti pot of water. The depth of the water needs to cover the mark on the stem by at least 2" as it sets in the pot. Try to make it mimic how it sets in your pan as best you can. Ok..once you have reached a good steady boil use the allen wrench to set the dial exactly on "0". That is the point on the dial that water boils. Wear oven mits...the dial will get HOT. If memory serves right you are at syrup when the dial reaches 7. You have to set it at "0" because when you start to boil sap you will notice the dial will do one full revolution.

And that is that! It is really simple to do and should be done before each season. You never know if it has been bumped over the summer.

3rdgen.maple
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Just like stated before by the others. But do not get confused as to what is being said. The temp that water boils at can change at a moments notice from changes in weather. So if you are relying on just your thermometer alone it will need to be checked on a regular basis and adjusted as needed. With that said I do just as Brandon does. I set it once at the first boil and that is it. I use it as a reference point and rely upon a hydrometer for an accurate test. Once I get the first batch of syrup of I take a little mental note to see what the thermometer is reading and just use that note as my drawoff point for that day. I usually draw off apoint above and shut it off a point below.

PerryW
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
You calibrate them by immersion in boiling water and adjust them to zero.

But I never bother adjusting mine. When the dial gets above 5 or so, I start checking the syrup with a hydrometer. When the Hydrometer indicates syrup, I note the temperature on the dial, and remember that that's where syrup comes off today. Sometimes it's 6.5 sometimes it's 8.0, but hydrometer is more accurate.

Jim and Kay Pepper
02-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone really appreciate the help. :)

kinalfarm
02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
hydrometers can be off too, if i go by my hydro. my syrup is over done. Make sure you stir the water in the pot when you set your thermometer you will get a better calibration. i think some people can tell by the baromtric presure what the dra off temp is on a given day. i cant. but i tell you this, i set mine at my house just like the directions say and when i got to my shack about 10 mi. away it was 3 deg. off

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
If you are not finishing syrup on the evaporator, it is not important to get the syrup just right. I try to draw off a little heavy and then thin with thin syrup or distilled water off of the steam hood when reheating it to run it thru the press. Much easier to thin than to waste propane boiling it down. I try to can 10 to 12 gallon batches at one time.

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I can tell you that I set fire to my pans and the dial therm was spot on after the roasting. I was quick enough to mark the dial so I know what to look for the next time I boil to 25 points over.