PDA

View Full Version : Test boil left lots of minerals

heus
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Did a test boil in my 2x6 a few weeks back with regular tap water. I didn't notice unitl yesterday that the entire flu pan is covererd with tannish-white powder from the water. I vaccumed what I could, but there is still some left in the bottom of the flues. Do I really need to get all of this out? Its not stuck to the pans. Won't it filter out anyways? Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I would assume you boiled with well water and have a calcium deposit left on the pans. It probably left a little scale that you may have to use pan cleaner at the end of the season to get it completely off or you may be able to scrub it off, either way, it won't hurt the syrup any.

heus
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks Brandon. Yes it was well water. Didnt effect the syrup pan just the flue pan.

RileySugarbush
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
It should be easily cleaned with some vinegar. Swab it out with full strength and then rinse well. Twice.

heus
02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
John,
I was thinking about that. The residue is so powdery that I can blow on it and it comes off. I though about just rinsing it with some water or even blowing it out with compressed air