PDA

View Full Version : Frozen saps in the buckets - Dump or Save

christwo
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Now that I have about 12 buckets hanging (because I couldn't wait any longer ) what is the opionion of the group about the frozen sap?

Should it be dumped as it is just frozen water, or is there value in the frozen sap?

Any studies about the sugar content of the frozen stuff?

What else is there to discuss !! The weather is cold enough to stop the flow so lets discuss what is in the buckets!

themapleking
02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Most will say to dump it. But if take that frozen sap-water and thaw it out and do a sugar % test. You might be surprised at what you'll find :o

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Sounds like with 12 buckets, it shouldn't matter too much. Sap is sap, boil it. It will be a little lower sugar, but too good to waste! :D

brookledge
02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Some times it matters on how frozen the buckets are if you collect them before they freeze solid I would recomend dumping the ice and keeping the liquid. If it is real cold and frozen solid then all of the sugar is frozen so you may want to try and save it. One draw back is if the bucket is full of ice the next day it runs it might overflow before it melts and you collect it. I have tested ice for sugar content (when it has not been frozen solid) and gotten readings around .5% At that rate it would take 172 gallons to make one gal. of syrup so that is why I dump it. Yes there is still sugar in it but it is not worth it. Another thing that I do is some times I leave the ice in my tanks if the next day is going to be real warm it keeps the sap cooler and in better condition.
Keith

Parker
02-25-2005, 04:42 AM
When I was in high school I used to go to a horse powered farm in Fairfield VT (3000 buckets)for a week during sugaring season,,,one year we got there just after a cold snap,,,,,all the buckets were 1/2 to 3/4 full,,the long range forcast was for cold,,,we took the gathering tank off the sled and collected all the ice from the buckets stacking it on the sled,,then via a chain gang passed the ice into the evap...worked for us.....but slow

Al
02-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Hey Parker what farm was that in Fairfield? Live right next door to a couple of farmers that ressemble that remark.

MaineMapleDave
02-25-2005, 12:02 PM
If it's just a layer of frozen sap on top of sap in the bucket, dump it. The remaining sap will be more concentrated, since the ice really is mostly water.

I once had a bunch of buckets with a 2" layer of ice on top. The sap measured at 3.5% sugar. I thawed all the ice. The sap then measured at just a hair over 2%.

I learned my lesson...........

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
post edited