PDA

View Full Version : Dial Therometers how do you set them?

Jim and Kay Pepper
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
How do set the dial/target therometers that are installed in the syrup pans?

If you take them out of the pan it leaves a hole for the syrup/sap to flow out of, so how do you set them?

smitty76
02-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Jim and Kay, On my 2x6 small bros ther is a 2" long brass nipple that the end of is higher that the syrup in the pan(when you are not boiling). So each day before you start the evaporator, remove the thermo and set it to boiling in a pan of boiling water. then replace it in the syrup pan and start. Some times when we boiled for days straight, we would test it ever day but must be timed right.

Good luck, Smitty76

caseyssugarshack93
02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
i keep the therm right in the syrup pan at all times, i just check my syrup with the hydrometer and when it reads that is syrup i set my dial on 7 degrees, for that day, Alot easier than taking the therm out and boiling water

3rdgen.maple
02-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I gotta ask. When you say thermometer are you refering to one that actually reads degrees of temperature or the one with the points above boiling water? Mine has a hex screw on the back and I just stick a small box wrench on it. It is setup so it angles down in the pan so the hole is way above the syrup. I also have seen one that take a small allen wrench. If your is like this just cut the end of the allen wrench short enough to stick between the thermometer and syrup pan. By the way there is another thread talking about the same thing. You may find your answer there as well.

smitty76
02-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Mine has a handle on the back to adjust it and it only reads boiling to 9 degs above boiling.

Dill
02-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Ok is there anyway to set this way back? Mine have a lever attached to the screw, and last night they where reading 30+ degs over boiling far before I could even see bubbles.

caseyssugarshack93
02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
mine had a allen head screw and that adjustes the pointer,