PDA

View Full Version : Sweetening procedures for rookies

morningstarfarm
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
I posted below in Nh tapping but figured it probably belongs here...

Is there anything a rookie needs to be especially aware of when sweetening pans for the first time? I have a 2x3 drop flu pan and a 2x3 channel pan in front. I'm not really concerned with the flu pan. it really roars. I'm more concerned in it getting ahead of the channel pan in concentration lvl. Do I need to draw off more often to get the slower boiling sap out? or do I just keep her running and watch the temps at the drawoff?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Just keep running, you don't have to worry about making any syrup in the flue pan unless your syrup pan is not boiling. It make take 150 to 200 gallons or more to get a drawoff, but you should be fine. Usually first draw is pretty big and if you draw off in a trickle, can last a while. Just watch drawoff temps and you will be fine.

If the flue pan roars really good, then sounds like you have it set up right!!!

Sugarmaker
02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Morningstar,
Even experienced folks can burn a pan. I have done it and the first time was on my first start up. On the first real boil have a helper watch the evaporator with you . Watch all areas. Watch the boil, the color of the bubbles (Light is good, darker is indicating closer to syrup) and don't be afraid to check the sap temps at several locations. Sap depth can be a little deeper on the first boil so that you get used to the rig.
Syrup sometimes gets made in the middle front channels on start up.
Regards,
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
One thing to add, make sure the syrup pan is good and level as this will prevent a lot of problems. If you don't have it completely level it could cause you to make syrup in the middle sections.

PerryW
02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
As long as you have the sap flow through the pans set up correctly, you should be fine. Do you have two floats or one float?

michiganfarmer
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Morningstar,

Syrup sometimes gets made in the middle front channels on start up.
Regards,
Chris

my 3x12 makes syrup in the middle two channels all season long.

michiganfarmer
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I mean once the temp is 218 at the draw off it will be 225 in the middle chanels

morningstarfarm
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
OK fired her up tonight and made steam!!! I have to admit that I was really intimidated by this thing..not relaxing like doing a 2x3 batch pan was. Anyways everything went smoothly..ran the drop flu pan about 2-2.5 in deep just to be on the safe side. Man that thing roars when the bricks get hot! started the fire at 5:15 and was done by 7:15..took 30 gals to fill the pans and boiled about 60 gals of additional sap..not sure what the numbers actually are but it took like 20 mins to get the first boil. anyways for a rookie it was pretty cool to take a glass measuring cup and see the color changes from the flu pan to the 4th channel. probably should have waited til tomorrow to have enough to make syrup but I just couldnt wait lol.:D