PDA

View Full Version : questions about oil fired evaporator

steve J
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Does anyone here use a 2x6 oil fired evaporator. Ther eis one advertised locally and I am curious to how effecient they are and how simple they may be to install. I would prefer wood but this unit could be an option. How big of an oil tank would be required? I use a wood 2x3 now and tap 110 trees but would tap 200 easily

Grade "A"
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Does anyone here use a 2x6 oil fired evaporator. Ther eis one advertised locally and I am curious to how effecient they are and how simple they may be to install. I would prefer wood but this unit could be an option. How big of an oil tank would be required? I use a wood 2x3 now and tap 110 trees but would tap 200 easily

I have a 2x6 oil fired. I burn 4 gph of oil and boil 45-50 gph of sap. I have a 275 gallon oil tank and fill it at the end of the season. To hook it up was easy, a simple burner only needs an oil line (2 line if it needs a return line) and power hooked to it. You may need to adjust the burner because the draft will be different at your place than were it is now (stack lenght and size, building shape,so on and so on).

SUGRNAGIN
02-17-2010, 09:14 AM
We have a 2X6 oil fired and have been using it for a couple of years now. We love it. I grew up using a 2.5X8 woodfired and was dead set against buying oil. Both my BIL and I work full time jobs and we finish gathering at 8PM. You Throw the switch and have a rolling boil in 5 min. I think we figured about 160 gals of oil last year and around 32 gals of syrup.