PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Sap Flow/pic

valleyman
02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm down in southern CT and the sap is running well. I emptied out at 7pm last night and went out this morning at 6 AM.The pic shows a jug with the overnight flow in it. Not too bad. I have some trees out in the open that are putting out 2 gallons each for a the past couple of days.:D

gator330
02-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Sap flow and snow fall in the same night! Not something you see often. Nice to see some freash sap.

bradley12001
02-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Same here...I am in SE CT and had sap flowing all night...lots of snow last night and through the day today!

markct
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
interesting, mine seemed to not flow much after about 7 pm, and didnt get a chance to go look at that tank today spent the afternoon tapping in another section, and then after dark plowed the driveway and the powerline access road up to the back part of our property to be able to get to one of my tanks. supposed to warm up tommorow they were saying so hope by the weekend to have enough to boil saturday

valleyman
02-17-2010, 08:38 AM
When I got home yesterday I gathered around 10 gallons by 7pm. Man, I'm out in the woods trying to track down my taps at night in snow. These trees are new to me. Cant image you guys with a real sugarbush to manage!

Anyway, Took a look this morning--dry as a bone. Hopefully sap will flow again today.

Seems like a couple of reds I tapped are doing basically nothing compared to the sugar maples. Is it normal for reds to start a little later?

Russell Lampron
02-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Reds are finicky on buckets and gravity tubing. Some will will run good, others will run a little and others won't run a drop. Hook a vacuum pump up to them though and they will give sap that you can be proud of.

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Dang that looks like a OAK tree:o

valleyman
02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Haynes you breakin em on me again? I spent a lot of time and neck aches looking up at the trees this past summer ID ing the Maples. If its an oak it sure does taste good:mrgreen:

LawnMowerMan
02-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice, I cannot wait for mine to get moving....I told my daughter the tree needs to warm up before it will give us sap........she asked about a heater for it......lol gotta love 6 year olds.

I have 1 tree tapped just to keep an eye on it....thought I may see some with the temps this week being mid 30's but not a drop.

Turtlecreek
02-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Tried tapping an oak my first year! Found out 1. They are hard to tap. 2. They don't run all thY well!