PDA

View Full Version : Roof Jack and Ridge Cap

SeanD
02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
My stack goes through the peak of my shack. How do the roof jack and ridge cap meet up? Does the roof jack sit on top of the ridge cap or is it the other way around? Do they just meet up and overlap a little - the taller one on top?

Thanks,
Sean

wcproctor
02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Ha Sean where did you get the tin roofing?

SeanD
02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
My local hardware/lumber is a dealer for Wheeling Corrugating. Expensive, but cut to length and delivered in three days. If you are thinking of getting some in green, let me know. I have one extra 9+' sheet that I didn't use.

Sean

SeanD
02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I just realized you are in Uxbridge. I got the roofing from Hopkinton Lumber, but it originally was ordered from their partner store in Bellingham, right in your backyard. Try Bellingham Lumber (508) 883-6878.

And I'm serious about the extra sheet of roofing.

Sean

Dill
02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Extra metal roofing makes a great cover when you use stock tanks for collection points.

stoweski
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't have a roof jack for the peak of my sugarshack but I just installed a roof jack just below the ridge. I pulled the ridge cap and bent the flashing of the roof jack over the ridge then put the ridge cap over the top of the jack. I had to cut the ridge cap a bit to fit the curve of the jack. Seemed to work out well for me. Since it was so close to the cupola I also tucked the jack flashing under the flashing on the cupola. Looks good and will keep the weather out!

madmantr
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I found corrugated tin roofing at $23 a 12'x26" sheet at lowe's in Springfield .I'm sure it's at other locations.
Have a good one.!

foursapssyrup
02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
hey seand, shack looks great!! where did you get your roof jack? i have been searching around and can't seem to find one for our 10" pipe.

happy boilling!!

Dill
02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I found corrugated tin roofing at $23 a 12'x26" sheet at lowe's in Springfield .I'm sure it's at other locations.
Have a good one.!

I ended up with Lowes roofing on mine as well. I can't get over how much cheaper the glavi was than then the painted roofing. It was 520 for the roof and ridge cap for my shack. Then I scored a random box of roofing screws at a local surplus center for 20.

SeanD
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
hey seand, shack looks great!! where did you get your roof jack? i have been searching around and can't seem to find one for our 10" pipe.

happy boilling!!

Thanks. I ended up having one made by a machine shop nearby - LEHI Sheet Metal. The cost ended up being equal to the ones from maple dealers, but I did save about $75-$100 on shipping.

I'm kicking myself for not throwing out an all call for anyone else who needed one. If I had three made, the cost dropped by over half because set up time is the expensive part. I was so close to pulling the trigger to have 3 made, but in the end I didn't want to outlay the money and get stuck with three roof jacks.

Sean