PDA

View Full Version : FILTERS

syrupmaker
02-24-2005, 12:52 PM
OK i went back through the old posts and did not find any previous topics related to this ! Happy Mapleking ? :P :lol:

What is the difference between a felt, wool, synthetic and orlon filter? Looking in the catalogs they list the 4 different types but i am assumeing that felt and wool are the same as is the orlon and synthetic, am i correct in this assumption?

Next, what benifit does one have over the other? Better filtering? One flows better than the other? Definately a difference in price! 8O

Rick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Rick,

I always buy the flat synthetic filters and prefilters. With a flat synthetic filter and 6 prefilters on top of it, I can usually get at least 10 gallons filtered with heavy sugarsand and 15 or more if the sugarsand is normal. I have a 16x24 Leader stainless filtering and canning unit and it is awesome for filtering. I bought a 36 x 36 filter this year and a 12 pack of 36x36 prefilters and as one filter gets clogged, I slide it sideways to expose some of the unfiltered area on it and when it gets clogged, I then remove it and the next filter is in place. I have two of the 20 x 30 filters and a pack of prefilters to fit them, but I like the larger ones better as they give more space to work with.

I wet the filters and prefilters and wring out as much water as I can and the syrup just pours through them and usually never get any sugarsand in any of my syrup. I have never tried, but I could probably filter 10 gallon in 5 to 10 minutes if I had that much hot. :D It is really fast and so easy and I get almost no waste of syrup. Works so good, don't have any reason to ever go to a filter press.

I normally batch drawoff as it is a lot easier and the syrup is a lot hotter. I take off anywhere from a quart to a gallon at a time and pour it in the filtering unit and put the lid back on. In about a minute or less, it is empty and begging for me. :D :D :wink:

themapleking
02-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Rick
Why do you care about filters. I thought you were going to a filter press this year. Or bring you syrup over and run threw my press.
Bring the beers and I'll bring the pizza & wings. 8)