PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer help

morningstarfarm
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Whats the difference between long and short hydrometers?

maple flats
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
The long is easier to get a more accurate reading, the scale is streatched out.

RileySugarbush
02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
But don't forget you need a tall hydrometer cup.

red maples
02-15-2010, 05:37 PM
chris...I have 1 hydrometer but I was going to order 2 more(for back up) for myself would you like me to order you one or 2??? I am going to order them tomorrow morning from the maple guys if there is anything else you want let me know and we can split the shipping.

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Whats the difference between long and short hydrometers?

Well it all depends are you talking a sap hydrometer or syrup hydrometers?

A long sap Hydrometer has a brix scale or 0 to 10 and calibrated at 38 degrees F. I think these ones are inspected and recomended for people who buy sap.
A short Sap Hydrometer has a brix scale of 1 to 8 and also calibrated at 38 degrees F.
So the short one range is not as good as the long one and I was told it was not as accurate but I cannot atest to that myself.

The short syrup hydrometer has a brix scale of 45 to 75
and the long one has a scale of 50 to 71. and again I was told the accuracy of the shorter one is not as good as the latter but both are inspected and approved.

red maples
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
you want the vermont approved 9" hydrometer from the maple guys.

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but both styles are Vermont approved and are the same no matter where they are purchased from if you are talking syrup hydrometers.

red maples
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
yeah I think so I am just going by what I am ordering from the maple guys web site. they only have the 9" syrup hydrometer and the long and short sap hydrometer. I have the short sap and the 9" syrup ones. but I need a back up beacsue I will break one!!!

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I am pretty good a breaking them Red. Took many years of practice but I think I got that one down pretty good. Nothing like breaking one in the syrup pan. You can never have too many that is for sure. I remember the old mercury filled thermometers we used in the old days. It was a real bummer when one broke in the pan.

KenWP
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Now why would anybody from another state care diddly if the hydrometer was Vermont approved. Sometimes I just sit here and shake my head.

The sap ones we can by from the CO-OP go to 30 brix . The sap one is worth more then the syrup one. Figure that one out. $11 for a syrup one and $17 for a sap one.

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Ken same reason why the only temporary grading kits you can find are from Vermont. I guess if it works for them all the other states said the heck with it we will use theirs.

Haynes Forest Products
02-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I think the quick answer is one is longer than the other:lol: I like the longer ones for the evap room and like to float the shorter one in my finisher so there is an advantage for both.

vtsnowedin
02-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Now why would anybody from another state care diddly if the hydrometer was Vermont approved. Sometimes I just sit here and shake my head.

The sap ones we can by from the CO-OP go to 30 brix . The sap one is worth more then the syrup one. Figure that one out. $11 for a syrup one and $17 for a sap one.
This is why Vermont approval maters.
UNITED STATES: U.S. maple syrup production in 2009
totaled 2.33 million gallons, up 22 percent from 2008
and the highest on record since 1944. The number of
taps is estimated at 8.65 million, 4 percent above
the 2008 total of 8.33 million. Yield per tap is estimated to be
0.269 gallons, up 17 percent from the previous season.
Vermont led all States in production with 920,000 gallons,an increase of 30 percent from 2008 and the highest
on record since 1944. Production in Maine reached a
record high 395,000 gallons, up 65 percent from last
year. Production in New York, at 362,000 gallons,
increased 10 percent from 2008. Production in Wisconsin,
at 200,000 gallons, is the highest on record and 33
percent above 2008. In Michigan, production is estimated
to be 115,000 gallons. This is the highest on record
since 1947 and 10 percent above 2008. In New Hampshire,
production is estimated to be 94,000 gallons, down 1
percent from last season. Production in Pennsylvania, at
92,000 gallons, is 8 percent below 2008. In Ohio, production
is estimated to be 90,000 gallons, down 10 percent from
2008. Production in Massachusetts, at 46,000 gallons,
decreased 29 percent from last season. In Connecticut,
production is estimated to be 13,000 gallons, down 32
percent from 2008.
Temperatures were reported to be mostly favorable in all
States except Pennsylvania. Producers in Pennsylvania
experienced weather fluctuations and reported temperatures
that were mostly too warm for sap flow. On average, the
season lasted 28 days compared with 30 days last year. In
most States, the season started later than last year. The
earliest sap flow reported was January 15 in Pennsylvania.
The latest sap flow reported was May 1 in New Hampshire.
Sugar content of the sap for 2009 was down from the
previous year. On average, approximately 43 gallons of sap
were required to produce one gallon of syrup. This compares
with 39 gallons in 2008 and 45 gallons in 2007. The majority
of the syrup produced in each State this year was medium to
dark in color with the exception of Maine.

KenWP
02-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Still dosn't answer my guestion but so be it.

red maples
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
it doesn't matter to me what state it comes from thats just what it says on the website.

I think and don't quote me on this but I think vermont's regulations are stricter than most states and in order to use items they must be and say "Vermont appoved". So being that vermont is the top producer in the US as far as amount produced (even though everyone in NH knows that our syrup tastes the best) everyone follows the leader so to speak.

3rdgen.maple
02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Why reinvent the wheel Ken. Vermont did it we follow it. It is kinda funny though how they have their own grading system that no one else follows that I know of. I am thinking Ken because of the cost affiliated with setting up inspections and regulations that we just let vermont spend the money for us.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Morningstar,

Regarding the new syrup hydrometer............Tape both ends of the hydrometer box it comes in so they are square and firm. Put the hydrometer back into the box and mark with a pen the cold and hot test lines on the bottom of the box. Each day I put my hydrometers in their own box before boiling and check the lines on the hydrometer paper against the ones in the box. If ever the paper slips down inside of the glass hydrometer, you will know!! Had this happen once, made "heavy syrup" and had to make "light syrup" the next day and blend it to correct brix. Remember also to keep the glass hydrometer, sugar-sand free - vinegar soak works good.

Regards,

Jan Woods
Hurryhill Farm
Edinboro PA

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Unless I am wrong, VT syrup is 1 degree thicker on the brix scale than all the other states which is why it is a VT approve hydrometer, so the hot syrup reading is 60 instead of 59. I always finish my syrup 1 degrees thicker as customers like it better.

KenWP
02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Makes sense just weird that people on here keep saying things like has to be Vermont approved and a couple other things. Hydrometer is a hydrometer far as I am concerned. So far haven't had anybody say food grade hydrometer. Been waiting for that one also.

red maples
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
NH is the same as VT 66.9 brix. I just remembered I have another hydrometer reads only baume...got for salt brines and stuff works the same just different scale.

vtsnowedin
02-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Still dosn't answer my guestion but so be it.
My point was that if US production is 2.3 million gallons and Vermont is the largest producer at 0.9 million gallons if you go by VT standard you have half the US market covered. The producers and the state legislature here in VT take this very seriously to protect the industries reputation and pure maple
syrups marketability. The standard is very high quality and syrup that meets it keeps well and satisfies the customer.
In short if it is good enough for Vermont it's good enough.

red maples
02-17-2010, 08:10 AM
that was what I was getting at...even though NH syrup is better!!!:lol:

Haynes Forest Products
02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
So Ken I shoulnt be using my automotive Hydrometer for syrup production??? I just wait till the yellow ball floats.......BUT sadly I cant find a FOOD GRADE auto Hydro:mad:

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Haynes you might be okay if you just wash the battey acid out of it with a solution of clorox and water. Something like 5 gallons of bleach to 1/4 cup water. I think you would be okay.:rolleyes: Im joking guys. nobody try this.
By the way 66.9 here also.