PDA

View Full Version : made my first syrup

madmantr
02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I know it wouldn't be worth most of your time but I was tweeking my home made evap today and decided to put the 6 gals of sap on in 2 of the pans instead of water pulled out a big block of iceand filtered it .Since I am brand new to this I wanted to see more of the process first hand.Had to pull it off a little early because the last pan was so shallow but it is a pretty nice 12 oz of almost perfect syrup only made it to about 215 but I learned a lot.thanks everyone for your help
Tony

morningstarfarm
02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
NICE....pancakes for dinner.:)

The Butcher
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Not worth our time....We are all jealous that you boiled and can say you have 2010 syrup!!!;)

Nice work!! Weather looks good Wed-Sat, you're going to be at it again soon.

KenWP
02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
We are not all from PA and only boil 50,000 gallons or nothing. Some of us cry when we spill a cup full.

wnybassman
02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Nice!!

Still waiting here. Not much sap running weather in sight. A couple days kissing 33 or 34 but nothing to get excited about.

michiganfarmer
02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
pretty cool!

I dont know what it is exactly. making syrup is a blast weather its a pint or a barrel full

red maples
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
heck yeah! no time for you geez its what we live for...well that and few other things but when you got the bug you got the bug!!!! pretty cool when you get your first syrup I still remember mine like it was yesterday!!!

vtsnowedin
02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Thats pretty cool. Enjoy. Now it will be bigger batches then more taps then more storage then a bigger rig. Where does it ever end?? :lol:

smitty76
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
It will never end, at least in our minds. I have been doing this for 17 years and want to expand but the wife says no, need to finish the house and landscape first.:cry: :cry: . some day hope to make some money on this.:mrgreen:

Dave Y
02-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Since when did you start listening to your wife.

driske
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
It will never end, at least in our minds. I have been doing this for 17 years and want to expand but the wife says no, need to finish the house and landscape first.:cry: :cry: . some day hope to make some money on this.:mrgreen:

Made my first batch 51 years ago. Caught the bug. Still ongoing, more tanks, dryer wood, longer tubing runs, more friends bringing their sap to be boiled.
Bigger R.O.'s, finisher's, filter presses, stainless barrels,;;; no, it only ends when we do.
My wife says I don't pay attention to anything or anyone else during Sugaring, (at least I think that's what she said.)

So young man, enjoy the fruits of your labor and may the rites of passage into this wonderful world of Maple be Sweet in all ways.

innoxen
02-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Congrads Tony..... Hopefully I will be over the hump with you after making my first batch... Enjoy... Tom

HudsonHawk
02-19-2010, 07:34 AM
We are not all from PA and only boil 50,000 gallons or nothing. Some of us cry when we spill a cup full.

LMAO!!!!! You gotta love Theron, but his #'s and enthusiasm are over the top for people like me!

HudsonHawk
02-19-2010, 07:37 AM
"My wife says I don't pay attention to anything or anyone else during Sugaring, (at least I think that's what she said.)"

Even with the super-small-time-almost-an-operation I got going, when mid-Feb comes my wife calls herself a "Sappy Widow" :-)

valleyman
02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
HudsonHawk,

You sure you and I dont have the same wife?:)

She sounds exactly like mine. I've been prepping all year and started tapping on Valentines Day (of all days) and I have about 70 gallons from less than 25 taps. I'm in big trouble! I'm going to boil Saturday after my daughters party.

I officially have a sappy widow for sure!

Happy boiling