PDA

View Full Version : smoke stack cover

maplefarmer
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
does anyone know where to get a smoke stack cover that pulls open by rope without costing alot, i have a 10" galv. stack

smitty76
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I do not but try posting a ad in the wanted section of the classifieds here.

maple marc
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
This works for me on my 10" stack--el cheapo solution:

Inverted 5 gallon bucket--run a stiff wire in an arch above the bucket's bottom (drill 2 small holes in the bucket to anchor)--on the end of a long pole, tape a hook (clothes hanger?)--use pole and hook to place/remove bucket on top of stack. Be sure to wait until stack cools a bit to place.

Only works if stack is not too high--sorry.

Marc

johnallin
02-15-2010, 06:52 PM
MapleFarmer, this is in the Classified Ads section of MapleTrader, go back about 4-5 pages and you'll find it.

Used 10" stainless stack cover $50. Please call or email with any questions. (585) 567-4724, marcforester@yahoo.com

markct
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
i had this same dilema last year, i didnt want to spend 200 bucks for a stainless stack cover, many of which the frame is just steel anyhow. so i found at kmart a set of stainless stove burner covers, the larger two are sized about right for 8 to 10 inch stacks, and then just tig welded up the rest outa some scrap stainless steel. attached a spring to close it and a cable to open it and its worked great!

Haynes Forest Products
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
We oil burner guys with burner problems just send the wife up on the roof and cover with a metal bucket and come morning when we start the rig it gets blown into the woods. She is always asking why I cant just put it back in the same place :evil: :lol:

SeanD
12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
i had this same dilema last year, i didnt want to spend 200 bucks for a stainless stack cover, many of which the frame is just steel anyhow. so i found at kmart a set of stainless stove burner covers, the larger two are sized about right for 8 to 10 inch stacks, and then just tig welded up the rest outa some scrap stainless steel. attached a spring to close it and a cable to open it and its worked great!

Mark, I followed your route for making my own stack cover. I didn't have any stainless scrap I could use, but I did have regular steel. I cleaned it with Naval Jelly then put two coats of high-temp. paint on it. I think it will do the trick.

Thanks!
Sean

Ausable
12-28-2010, 02:35 PM
This works for me on my 10" stack--el cheapo solution:

Inverted 5 gallon bucket--run a stiff wire in an arch above the bucket's bottom (drill 2 small holes in the bucket to anchor)--on the end of a long pole, tape a hook (clothes hanger?)--use pole and hook to place/remove bucket on top of stack. Be sure to wait until stack cools a bit to place.

Only works if stack is not too high--sorry.

Marc

Marc - I do about the same on an 8" dia. stack - I guess it is not as pretty as stainless - but - it works. Ahhhh -- but being I have black stove pipe - the white bucket is a nice contrast. --- Mike

markct
12-28-2010, 06:28 PM
looks like very nice work Sean ! glad my idea helped, steel will work just fine, infact many of the overpriced so called stainless covers they sell have a steel frame anyhow! mine woulda been steel but i happened to have the strips of stainless around so i used them. those stove covers are a great starting point, and at only around 10 bucks how can you go wrong, i cant help but see maple stuff when i see stainless in any kinda store!

maple flats
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I bought a 12" flip open cover from Bascom about 2008 for $50. It had been welded with the raise/lower arm in the wrong position. It is all SS. I didn't cut the arm off and re weld, I just used some heavy punched strap and 3 bolts to correct the angle. Not as pretty but it is functional. Now I have 2 SS light wt. cables thru the roof, one to raise and the other to lower.