PDA

View Full Version : Roadside trees and salt

Maplesedge
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Does roadsalt get into sap and effect syrup?

Bucket Head
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I remember reading (maybe here?) that, no, the salt does not make its way into the syrup. Well, at least not enough to taste and not enough to alter the finished product. Maybe trace amounts, if any. Many of us tap roadside tree's, myself included, and our syrup is fine.

The problem with salt is that its slowly taking a toll on the roadside trees. The DPW's around here salt the heck out of the roads, needlessly. The roads are as white as the snow covered ground next to them.

The salt alters the acidity of the ground. There was a recent artical in an Adirondack area publishing that spoke of the White Birch all dying along the roads. There are many things affecting many of the tree species around here, but the incredible overuse of roadsalt is a biggie.

Steve

markct
02-14-2010, 11:42 PM
worst than salt is the calcium magnesate and calcium chloride they use, both are hard on trees and vegitation, and very corrosive.

Hop Kiln Road
02-15-2010, 05:57 AM
http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/saltysyrup1987.pdf

dano2840
02-15-2010, 09:27 AM
martin vontrapp used to tap some big old road side trees that he owned, he called the town and had them stop putting calcium chloride and had them only sand the road on his stretch, it has helped the trees, but he thinks the damage is already done, he doesnt tap them any more just to try and keep them around. personally i dont believe in doing roadside trees on a main drag road, if its just a road with a few houses and maybe only 5 or 6 cars going up it its not to terrable but a main road if you think about it those trees really only have half the root capacity because that road has really damaged those roots

Bucket Head
02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Thats an interesting study on roadsalts.

I can't dispute their numbers, but I would have liked to have seen the highway and trees they used! I would expect results like that if the trees were right next to a highway like the New York State Thruway.

I still would'nt hesitate to tap roadside trees as long as they were healthy. You would have to be the judge on both the health of each tree and the type of road they border.

Like I said I tap roadside trees, and there is no "salty" taste whatsoever. I have some discerning customers that would have NO trouble telling me my syrup tasted like anything other than syrup. Each one returns throughout the year every year for more.

I think its safe to say that as long as your not tapping alongside an arterial or interstate, your syrup will be fine.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
It makes me cry everytime I drive down Route 13 and see all those nice maples along senator barclay's place dying or dead along the road. I have 4 big road side trees and they are not looking good either. I really do not think drilling a tap hole in them or not will make any difference to their life at this point. And no I have never tasted any off flavors from them but hard to tell when it all gets mixed with the rest. I do know where there is a roadside maple graveyard where the state dumps the dead ones they cut down. Pretty much a big mountain of some of the largest maples I have ever seen. Sad. I am wondering if any of you other NY'ers know what they are using to melt the ice on the interstates and thruway now? This year I see them hauling tankers with spray nozzles out the back with a sticker on them that says liquid ice melt. Any ideas?

MartinP
02-17-2010, 05:39 AM
They may be using beet juice. They have been testing it for a while around here.

KenWP
02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
We have the same spray trucks here also. Seems to be a calcium salt mix. The roads are wet and clear at least but man I have used gallons of windsheild washer solution this year becasue of it.

3rdgen.maple
02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
It is clear as water sitting in the tanks. Would beet juice be clear?

DanE.
02-17-2010, 01:55 PM
It is a salt brine. I was on the news at the beginning of the winter. they use 2/3 less salt to do the same job, so they claimed.

here is one link to the new article.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/fayettevilles_brine_solution_f.html

Maplesedge
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
The UV study was interesting. It's reported in parts per million, 9 for a forest tree, 328 for a roadside. But how does ppm translate into mg? For example, look at a jug of commercial maple syrup and they all say 5 mg of sodium in a 1/4 cup serving. (versus up to 200 mg in the fake syrups)

So does that 5mg come from mostly forest sap?

That would mean the roadside syrup would have about 180 mg per serving.

Almost as bad the worst commercial fake syrup.

MartinP
02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
3rdgen,
Sugar Beets look like potatoes on the inside so it may be clear or cloudy, not sure. It is suppose to lower the temp that the brine solution (they mix it with brine) will work down another 20deg. Kind of like syrup does not freeze as fast as sap.
Maybe a use for Mersh in the future. Just think drop your pancake on the road and you are all set.