PDA

View Full Version : it's ALIVE, it's ALIVE!!!!

Pete S
02-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Hauled the "Vap-nater 2010" out of the shop this AM, at about 14* F> Bricked'er up and gave it a test fire on water.

Oh, what a wonderful sight to see something I built work very well.

Learned a LOT and so much information from HERE!

Thanks "yous guys"!

PerryW
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
sweet!. Looks like a rig I boiled on years ago only a LOT shinier.

KenWP
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Hows that preheater work out. Me thinks it would almost boil the back pan also. I need to invent something like that also.

Pete S
02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
In the short time I did run it, the preheater worked well. I have a section of 3/16" plate on the back where the preheater sets. I gasketed and tapped machine screws to hold it down, so I can remove to take out the bricks, etc.

Anyway,....the 3/16" plate was gettin' a bit wavy and the preheater was nice-n-hot!

Thanks!

smitty76
02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
NICE JOB PETE.
Absolutly gradifying to have your own project come alive.
looks great and I am sure you will have lots of fun and memorieswith this.

may your syrup be plentiful.:D :D :D :D

markct
02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
i think i would take the 3/16 plate out from under the preheater and let that boil too, whats it gona hurt gota keep it full either way

Pete S
02-14-2010, 08:09 PM
The plate is there so we have a small area to cook and make coffee.

markct
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
so cant ya make coffee behind the preheater pan? just cut an opening under the pan itself, that may help with the warpage too. i know on my evaporator the area right around the stack collar is where the hot dogs get laid to cook!

vtsnowedin
02-14-2010, 11:01 PM
so cant ya make coffee behind the preheater pan? just cut an opening under the pan itself, that may help with the warpage too. i know on my evaporator the area right around the stack collar is where the hot dogs get laid to cook!
I know it's not PC or food grade to say this But!! You mean you don't just drop a string of natural casing franks into the fluepan next to the eggs to boil? :o

markct
02-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I know it's not PC or food grade to say this But!! You mean you don't just drop a string of natural casing franks into the fluepan next to the eggs to boil? :o

yea at the end when it was commercial syrup anyhow we did try that, figured at that point it didnt matter much either way. of course imagine my surprise when i took it to bascoms and they graded it as b after color and taste testing it go figure!

vtsnowedin
02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Yah it saves on defoamer a lot and probably does no more harm. Food is food after all but I think I'll stick to the venison with soy sauce wrapped in tinfoil and slid under the grates. Open that up on the counter and test a piece then walk around the rig checking levels etc. and when you get back to the counter the tin foil is empty. Darn vultures.

Pete S
02-15-2010, 05:53 AM
My daughter actually found a "rotary" hot dog cooker. It resembles a fishing pole, that has a crank on it, which in turn rotates TWO oposing dawgs on the "hot" end.

Too cool and a lot of fun! (found it at Gander Mtn)

jtthibodeau
02-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Very nice job, Pete. Next thing you know, you'll be "manufacturing" a building around that new evaporator!

Pete S
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
That's the whole idea as we have a design in our heads already!

We did have a lagzana pan on a steel box that we used patiently for 4 years. (it was only temporary)

I gave that away, and thought I'd build this thing to "step up" the operation.

With proper firing and "tending" I'm hoping to increase our boil rate by about 5 times!

Pete

Sugarmaker
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Pete,
Nice to see the steam rising off the rig that you built!
Thnaks for posting the pictures.
Chris

maple flats
02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
You should be able to get 6 and maybe 7 gal/hr. The first pan should get 5-6 and the other about 1/1.5. That is IF you remove the plate and let the pre heater become a rear pan. You might then want to make a pre heater like Johnny Cuervo did. Check his pictures. Real nice job and adjustable heat.