PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 5 gallon buckets at Lowes this weekend 2.98 each

MapleME
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
just thought I would post it up here for people to see. Its a decent price and 1 buck more for lid. I dont know who/what/where makes them for lowes, but just saw the add. Been looking for another 25 so this is a good money saver. Actually is $2.34
http://www.lowes.com/pd_315728-84240-PN0016_0_?productId=3116255&Ntt=5%20gallon%20bucket&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=5%20gallon%20bucket$y= 0$x=0

vtjeeper
02-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I probably wouldn't have a problem using those buckets myself but I figure somebody is going to notice they are gray and then wonder and then see that they are made from recycled plastic. does that mean they are not food grade? I don't think they will hurt the sap if washed out before using but...

I wasn't going to reveal my sources due to the possibility of potential competition but, a lot of places(restaurants, delis, diners) buy presliced pickles in 5 gallon buckets then throw the buckets away or recycle them. some they keep and use for whatever storage but in the last couple weeks I went around to some places and have gotten about 10 buckets. larger users around here seem to use about a bucket every 2 weeks. someody said mcdonalds uses the same ones but I havent checked there. also I did get one tofu bucket one place. this has to help somebody else out that is as cheap as me. :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I have been using pickle buckets for 15 years and never had a problem with any flavor in syrup or sap.

kinalfarm
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
5 gal buckets are always $3 at home depot

smitty76
02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
:lol: :lol: here we go, Lowe's / home depot price wars.:lol: :lol:

morningstarfarm
02-14-2010, 05:42 PM
gotta love the homer buckets..bright orange..hard to miss them in the snow

smitty76
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
homer, that is new to me, love it

morningstarfarm
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
bought another 40 buckets this morning...2.34 for the buckets and .99 for the lid...hard to argue with the price

MapleME
02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
around here I never see buckets cheap- HD had em for 5 bucks plus 2 for the lid when all is said and done. So this is a pretty good deal.

PLUS they only say lowes on one side, so I hang them logo side in. Nice grey bucket you can barely notice em....now HD orange...that may piss off the neighbors

Loun
02-14-2010, 07:36 PM
now HD orange...that may piss off the neighbors

Just tell them you are trying to keep the sap safe from hunters..

So does no one have an issue using non-food grade buckets?

Bemis
02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a problem using non food-grade plastics.

Toblerone
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I bought 5-gallon white buckets from lowes 6 years ago. I called the company (Encore plastics I believe-- their 800 number was on the bottom) and they told me they were 100% new material and were food safe even though they were not certified to be as such. I would try to call the manufacturer and see if the gray ones are the same.

I have to admit, though, seeing the bright orange Home Depot ones in the sugarbush would set off major red (or should I say orange) flags.

unclebuck
02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
If your making the syrup for yourself then I guess it your choice as to what to use to collect or transport the sap in.due to the fact that I sell retail I would never take a chance of having something leach into the sap and then you concentrate it when you boil it down. Remember about the concern with lead in the solder for buckets and pans.you don't know what type of plastic these pails are made of(could be toxic) they may be cheap but like an earlier post said go to local resturants most times they will give them to you

Uncle Buck

JuniperHillSugar
02-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I bought 21 5-gallon "pickle" buckets, with covers, for $2 each from a local sandwich shop. They are food safe but they may not be fit for sap this year, they still smell like pickles. I've tried several cleaning methods with marginal success. Live and learn.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Mine smelled like pickles for years and some may still after 15 years but never imparted any off flavor in sap or syrup. Try one and let it set with 2 or 3 gallons of sap in it for 24 hours and then taste sap side by side with sap that was in something else.

JuniperHillSugar
02-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Yea, I thought I'd give it a try. I love pickles so I thought if it passed any taste to the first batch I'd keep it for my own pancakes. I've noticed that cold water doesn't get flavored, however hot water really releases a pickle scent.