PDA

View Full Version : Taffy on snow when there is no snow

BryanEx
02-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I run a small "brew your own syrup" type operation and included in my package price is maple taffy on snow for the family. The challenge I have is later in the season when there is no snow left but the sap is still running. How can I come up with enough ice shavings to do taffy without getting into a large commercial shaver? My local corner store sells ice blocks and cubes... but not snow. :rolleyes:

red maples
02-14-2010, 04:12 PM
try yo find the cheapest widest wood chissel and scrape or should I say push the chissle just like you would a a plainer and it will take a little time but that will give you nice little ice crystals the other thing would be if you owna a dremmel or a die grinder clean the bits well put a a pan to catch your snow do it outside at night when its colder so it doesn't melt and pack it in a pan an stick it in the freezer.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't know how much you need but my Mom used to freeze up dishpans full of snow so we could have "jack wax" for the fourth of July.

BryanEx
02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Don't know how much you need but my Mom used to freeze up dishpans full of snow so we could have "jack wax" for the fourth of July.

I was wondering if you could just freeze snow without it turning to ice. I could do an old chest freezer full of snow no problem if it works. How do the bigger commercial guys do it?

vtjeeper
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
not sure about up in canada but down here we had sugar on snow at work as a "moral event" a couple times. the people in charge got the snow from a nearby ski area where they still had snow at elevation and stuck it in coolers and drove it back.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-14-2010, 04:29 PM
The snow did get icy but it still worked. It didn't turn into solid ice. I think it would work best if done in individual containers. The surface can then be sort of loosened with a fork before pouring they syrup on.

PerryW
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
We have poured it directly on ice and it still worked.

KenWP
02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Up here we grind up ice cubes and make snow. Clean snow went out with the ice ages in places close to humans.

BryanEx
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes Ken but if you look at the labels on that ice you will notice much of it is actually imported from the States. Hows that for ironic? :rolleyes:

I'll try freezing some snow this year and dig it out in April to see how it fares. Thanks all...

sfsshadow
02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
you could always put ice cubes in a blender

Homestead Maple
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
you could always put ice cubes in a blender

Excellent idea.

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Second part to this question... if I boil syrup to the point suitable for taffy can I let it cool and reheat the next day or will it go "crusty" in the process? Do I have to process a new batch each time I want to entertain with maple taffy?

mispatnoe
03-26-2010, 05:50 AM
I go into my local Price Chopper (Seafood Section) with an empty cooler each year and they fill it with crushed ice at no charge. I always call ahead out of courtesy. FYI They don't store the fish on this ice.

BryanEx
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Excellent idea mispatnoe - thanks! May be a different store but I'm sure I can find one locally willing to help out even if I have to bribe the manager with syrup. :D

KenWP
03-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Second part to this question... if I boil syrup to the point suitable for taffy can I let it cool and reheat the next day or will it go "crusty" in the process? Do I have to process a new batch each time I want to entertain with maple taffy?

I asked that question today at the sugar bush I went to. And they make big batchs of it and just reheat it for everytime they need it. They also package it in small tubs for people to take home also. They just kept reheating it until everybody had enough of it. First time I hade ever had it and it's sweet to say the least.

BryanEx
03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks very much Ken... that's very helpful to know and I appreciate you asking.

Buckshot
03-30-2010, 10:05 PM
does the ice cubes in the blender work?
I would like to know I family coming up and the snow is gong real quick.:-|

danno
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, ice cubes in the blender work. Add some tequila and you've got a margarita, add some rum and you've got a pina colada or dacquiri.

Or, take it to the next step - run some water and air compressor through the same line the night before through a small screened nozzle when the temps dip below freezing and make your own snow!

BryanEx
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
when the temps dip below freezing and make your own snow!
That's exactly the problem! Temps aren't below freezing so there is no snow left. Best suggestion I've seen in this discussion so far is picking up crushed ice from the local grocery but to answer buckshot's question - yes, ice in the blender does work. The problem is that it's slow, noisy, and produces small amounts each batch of cubes. I've since found out that the local corner store selling ice blocks & cubes also has crushed ice available.

Thinking as I go... I suppose another option would be to defrost an older freezer and grab the slabs of ice before they melt. Be a perfect surface if you think about it with all those ice crystals on the front and a solid ice backing. Anyone have a late 70's chest freezer for sale?