PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Sap Filter

SeanD
02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm going to try to do a better job of filtering my sap at collection and then again as it goes into the evaporator. I'm using buckets and I don't have a float box (yet), so I'm just going to be pouring through a "filter".

Is there any advantage to getting a synthetic flat filter that the gas bottlers use and cutting it into a couple of filters that I can wash and change out, or would a couple of clean cotton t-shirts do the same thing?

Thanks,
Sean

BryanEx
02-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Sean.. I strain into 5 gallon pails using a kitchen strainer that's larger than the top of the pail and line it with a flat prefilter. I works well for me because it doesn't move around while pouring into it, is easy to clean out, inexpensive, and I can also use it to drain sap out of chunks of ice from my buckets.

stoweski
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
What about using cheese cloth? Any issues with that? Would think it would work well unless the cloth is too fine to allow the sap to run through it fast enough. Works well with honey!

Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Get one of these, well worth the money and if you want to wash them and keep them clean, would last for several years or throw away at the end of the season and buy a new one.

http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?item=159&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapleguys.com%2Findex.php%3Fp age%3D1%26category%3D15

SeanD
02-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I've seen those, but I assumed they "popped on" to something. How are they used?

Sean

KenWP
02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
I use old pillow cases. I tie them around a metal ring over the sap tanks and pour in the sap. Cleans it up nice especially those black bugs. Have one pillow case that was very expensive it actually plugs up as the materials so dense.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I use the big black metal spring loaded paper binder clips to clip then on to whatever. I have one clipped on in the access lid hole on my 625 gallon sunset ss milk tank and it works good.

buxtonboiler
02-15-2010, 02:39 AM
I use a kitchen strainer and line it with white flannel. The flannel is about $3.00/ sq yd at walmart. wash it first in hot water, NO SOAP.Rinse them out good after each use, then at the end of the season, just toss them out. Also works good for finishing.

SeanD
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Those ideas sound easy enough. Thanks. Is there a way to disinfect them for reuse? I'm thinking bacteria and yeast would love to party in the cloth of the filter over a few days let alone a season. Would a 20:1 bleach solution dip after the rinse be a good idea? Of course, I could throw whatever I use out, but it would be nice to reduce waste.

Sean

Dennis H.
02-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I use cheesecloth for filtering the sap when I collect by buckets.
I just make 2 laers that cover the top of whatever I will be pouring it into and tie/attache it good to go and cheap.

Now with the setup I have this year I bought a few bag filters from McMaster-Carr and I will be tying that to the end of a pipe that goes into my milk tank, so when I pump the sap to the tank it gets filtered.
Oh yeah I had to add a coupling fitting to the end to keep the bagfilter from falling off while there is sap going to the tank. I got a few so I can change them out while I am washing the used one. They are really cheap and food grade.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
I submerse the sap filters in about a gallon of water with a cup of bleach after washing it out good with water hose. Soak it for a few minutes and rinse it good and it is good to go. Good idea to at least wash them out every day you use them even if you don't use bleach.

SeanD
02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Excellent. Thanks for all the info.

Sean

wcproctor
02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I use a house water filter and hook it up to my gas pump when i pump my tanks to the main tank if filters good I use a filter thst filters down to 20microns. The filter is on the truck and when in the field to the truck tank you filter the sap. I fill a 15 gal open tank w/tid when the 15 gal is full I pump with the gas pump through the house filter to a 125 tank.

JohnsSugarShack
02-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I cleaned 3 of my cone filters in about 2 gal of water with maybe 1/4 cup of bleach and was unable to get the bleach smell out of them. I must of rinsed them 10 times, even put them in the front load washer on spin dry. I used them to filter 2 gal of finished syrup and ended up with an off flavor. Didn't want to ruin any more syrup so I tossed them in the trash. From now on I'll only wash with hot water. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Sean,

Ask your old aunts to give you some OLD ALL COTTON or LINEN pillowcases -they work great. Synthetic, new pillowcases do not work (as one fellow mentioned). Run an empty cold water cycle through your washing machine (to talke out soap residue). Wash pillowcases in one capful of clorox only in load of very hot water. NO SOAP. Rinse in full load of COLD water with a tablespoon of dissolved baking soda. Works great.

Jan Woods
Hurryhill Farm
Edinboro PA