PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionize the Industry

Hop Kiln Road
02-14-2010, 06:18 AM
While we are all waiting for March 1st, I thought I would share my guess of the maple future. Soon we will start hearing about "Hands Off No Boil Syrup." Producers will be able to add a second RO unit that has a high temperature membrane and replaces the evaporator in the maple production line. After all, they ain't making high fructose corn syrup on 3X12's.

This coupled with stricter FDA licensing and enforcement will fragment the existing business structures and most will be selling sap to one of the 2 NE Monsanto factories. After all, if they can corner the corn market...

What did the producers in NY think of Senator Schuman's (sp?) proposal the other month?

Bruce

KenWP
02-14-2010, 08:47 AM
The problem with that is how would you get any taste. It would just be sugar instead of maple sugar. Thats why useing ROs and boiling it super fast already makes such poor syrup with hardley any taste. If you imagine it's maple while eating it you can almost taste maple but if you never knew it was maple you would think it was table syrup.

PerryW
02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I still like the idea tapping only one tree out of each 100 trees you own. Just put 100 taps all in one tree and hook up a huge vacuum pump to it with all the latest hi-tech spouts.

Sure, you'd kill the tree; so at the end of the season, just cut the tree down and plant a new one. By the time you get around to the last tree, the tree you planted will be 100 years old and you can repeat the process. :D