PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Setting Up Some Test Taps This Weekend - Sanford, Maine

bussell
02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Monday's high: 39
Tues: 34
Wednesday: 40
Thursday: 40
Friday: 40
Sat: 38

What do you guys think?

Too early?

What is the real in tapping too early?

I'm tapping almost all Red Maples, and I've heard they have a shorter season than Sugars, I'm worried I'll miss out if I don't get an early start!

Thanks!

bussell
02-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I just called a producer the next town over. He's going to start tapping by the end of next week... So, I guess I'm in good company.

JuniperHillSugar
02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Bussell:

I set three taps in red maples on Wednesday and got a small run of 2.5% average sap. I would guess that sugar level will drop off, but I don't know yet how fast it might happen.

We're getting close now. I'll watch the weather as well as the calendar.

Homestead Maple
02-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I figure it's going to take nearly a week of 40 degree weather to thaw the trees out enough, well, nearly a week, 4-5 days to get much of a run. The base of some peoples trees haven't seen any snow in a month and a half? The base of the trees and roots will have to have some rain or really warm weather. Looks like a slight warm up for our area but not enough to get sap moving much.

TapME
02-13-2010, 08:44 PM
If that makes you comfortable tapping the trees now try a few and see what happens. I do know that the weather in your area is different that other spots in that it warms quicker and gets cold faster there than most cities and towns that I have been to, Mt Hope has something to do with that I'm sure. Warm asfault can cause strange things to happen 50 ft above it, and thats where the sap is heading to the top of the trees. Have Fun

Gerryfamily5
02-14-2010, 05:12 AM
With the forcast highs near 40,it's time to tap my south facing woods. Put in 600 yesterday, by lunch sap was running strong.Got to drill another 750 today,250 tommorow.Wow I wasn't quite ready,now scrambling to get sugarhouse together.Hoping for BIGGGGGGGGGSAP!

Revi
02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
We tapped 4 test bucket trees today, but we plan on tapping this weekend if the weather holds up. Another big producer has almost all of his trees tapped already, so I don't think it's too early.

gmcooper
02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Still working finishing change to Check valves and the new section we added. Haven't touched the sugarhouse. Thought I was doing well until today. Way too much to get done if the weather continues like the last few days. I have been trimming and thinning a bit as I go and a few of the maple saplings I cut the stump was damp but not really more than that. Maybe the south facing might have run more.
Looking like snow for Tuesday.
Mark

buxtonboiler
02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm in buxton. Tapped 3 trees this morning, 1 in the woods, 2 edge of field. Got about 2 gallons.

boondocker
02-14-2010, 08:14 PM
i tapped 10 on buckets yesterday, it was running real slow. i was counting the drips on most of them. i was getting a drip every 2 to 5 seconds wich i think is kinda slow. im gonna hold off to see what happens this week and maybe tap my lines this weekend. regaurdless this season is real close if not already here but i have a weird feeling that this season may be short do to how warm it is alreadyand it is still early feb. i know, i know, i should be bitting my toung but....................... i have been doing the maple dance every night:D :D :D good luck everybody :)

abbott
02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Seems like it's a couple degrees above freezing every day - but only for a few hours in the middle of the day. Looks like the trend will continue for a while. I'm going to hold off until next week at least, then take another look at the forecast. Tapped 3/5 last year and 3/10 the previous year.

mitchmaple
02-16-2010, 06:07 AM
hey guys, cutting next years wood. noticed in the woods that the maple stumps are still fairly dry. road trees must be running yet. esp. south facing. we have buckets and wait for the final gun to fire before tapping (healing up too soon on the other end). the weather is so queer, who can figure it? anyway looks like cool weather for a few days. first week of march is when we have always planned to tap and wait if it's too cold then. that seems to be coming right up anyway. having a new stack made up for us, and plan to rebrick woodbox end of evaporator. that should distract us long enough. good luck and keep talking. we are listening.

Gerryfamily5
02-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Sap is flowing in southern Maine.Been scrambling to finish tapping and prep sugarhouse.Yesterday sap flow was strong for about 4hrs,had just shy of 900 gallons to R/O and boil.beutiful light amber with excellent flavor,a good sign.Now need to install small extractor,and drill last 250 taps.Looks like I'll have just shy of 1500 taps.LOL guys with your final prep.

MapleME
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
"queer"........ what the...?

hey guys, cutting next years wood. noticed in the woods that the maple stumps are still fairly dry. road trees must be running yet. esp. south facing. we have buckets and wait for the final gun to fire before tapping (healing up too soon on the other end). the weather is so queer, who can figure it? anyway looks like cool weather for a few days. first week of march is when we have always planned to tap and wait if it's too cold then. that seems to be coming right up anyway. having a new stack made up for us, and plan to rebrick woodbox end of evaporator. that should distract us long enough. good luck and keep talking. we are listening.

Revi
02-17-2010, 06:57 AM
We face north, and the test buckets are in the darkest part of the lot, so maybe we will tap some trees and see what happens this weekend.

smitty76
02-17-2010, 06:17 PM
that hurts my ear's, to hear that sap is running on the ground.:cry: :evil: . we are not ready yet either, hopfully this week end.:rolleyes:

Gerryfamily5
02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Got 500 plus gallons today even with mostly cloudy skies,but didn't boil trying to fight off the flu,it's in the house.:( Ck'd today sugar was 2.7% the best I've seen in almost 10 years.Put out another 175 taps so now at about 1400.Tomorrows weather through the weekend looks great.Have about another 100 taps to go then fine tune everything,but vac is already at 24"hg so not to many leaks.It's almost here for the rest of you LOL.

RickinFarmington
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I can't stand it any longer. My test tree of last week was running at 0930 this morning. I off with the drill to tap my 80 taps. Will give you guys some more data to feed your anxiety. BANZI!! I mean like, what would Theron do??

JuniperHillSugar
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm with you guys, I'll tap my reds with the best southern exposure and if they dry out early I'll have plenty of more shaded trees that I will tap later.