PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning new pan for the first time?

Lazarus
02-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I don't mean to hog all the new threads, but one more question maybe you guys can answer for me is how should I clean my Mason pan for the first time since I just got it? I have that really caustic pan cleaner stuff, and I was told before I boil the first time, I should start up the fire, fill the pan with water, scrub it with this stuff, snuff out the fire, and let it simmer for a few hours.

So, a few issues I have with this ... First, seems overkill for a brand new pan. Second - the shack has no water, the hose is 200 feet away from the barn, the hose is frozen, and there is over a foot of snow everywhere, it's 14 degrees out, and I would have to really be sure I rinsed all that cleaner out. Third - this will easily knock a day out of my weekend to do this, and that means I won't be boiling until next week weekend. Again.

Will a light vinegar scrub without the heat up and cool down thing do for the first time before I boil?

Or should I stop whining and just get on with it?

New Mason 2x3 Evaporator
A doberman who loves to steal wood from the shack

slammer3364
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I dont know why you would have to clean a new pan, but if you want put some water mixed with a little vinegar put alittle fire in just to make it hot (no boil necesarry) and wipe it out Happy Boiling

Grade "A"
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I was told to mix up some baking soda with water to clean my new pans. I saw some one that didn't clean them when new and turned 5 gallons of fancy syrup into C grade because of off-flavor.

KenWP
02-13-2010, 11:45 AM
All you have to do with a new pan is wash it to get all the oil from manufacturing and the oxides off of it to make it shiney. SS does get a bit of a finish on it that coveres up the shine. Why pray tell you have to scrub it with heat brand new is beyond me. I personally like comet but somebody will have to say its not food safe even if you wash with lots of fresh water afterwards.

3rdgen.maple
02-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Im thinking if you just bring that 2x3 pan inside when she who must be obeyed is not around. Put it on the kitchen stove and throw some water in it with white vinegar and heat it to a simmer then take a food grade sponge and give her a wash. Rinse it several times and you are good. Before every season starts I always do a water vinegar boil and rinse very well. The only reason I do it is because the taste tester in the family claims she can taste metal in the first batch(don't ask) and since I have started doing this her claims of the off taste disapeared. It also ensures me that the pans are clean and free from any foreign crap that may have gotten into the pans. Besides it never hurts things to be clean.

KenWP
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
She's tasteing the oxidation from the pans. I am working on SS plate today and I can taste the crap also. Of course she who must be obeyed has better taste buds then me probbably.

3rdgen.maple
02-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Never thought of that Ken. I have been telling her for years I think she is crazy but she refuses to believe me. Just don't tell her she was right, please.:D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Take a rag, some good old dawn detergent, a little water and just wash it thoroughly with some good old blue dawn and then rinse it really good and you are good to go. Same thing your wife would do if you bought her new stainless cookware.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Did I read that you have all this snow on the ground near the arch out in the woods????. Get to a good resturant supply and pick up a cheap FOOD GRADE SNOW DETECTOR and walk the woods you will find a pile.

Really fill with snow and a gallon of vinigar and warm up and add till full and yes let er rip and have some fun. Slide back to house and hose out and fill with food grade sap and make some syrup.

PerryW
02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
yup, a 2x3 pan should be wash to bring inside and wash. We use to wash ours in the bathtub.