PDA

View Full Version : What happens to volume when season starts late?

Frank Ivy
02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Right now the weather forecast has it in the 20s through February 20, 2009. The season is usually underway by Feb 15th, according to another member here.

What happens if the season starts March 1st?
Will the trees bud at the usual time, thereby shortening the season by two weeks?
Will production be, on a daily basis, the same or more?

3rdgen.maple
02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Only mother nature can answer this question Frank. The weather is in control and we will not know till it happens. Any answer pretty much would be a big guess.

KenWP
02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
The 2008 season here started late and there was beaucoup snow. It was over real quick also as it got hot fast and the trees budded with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Feb 20 isn't to bad as long as it dosn't go to 80 degrees Feb 21.

Bill'sSugarShack
02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
My '09 season i never taped till Feb 25th...didn't have enought to boil till March 8th...done and cleaned up by March 29th. Even tho it seemed a late/short season, had a good produceing season.

As it's been said, all up to mother nature....injoy the ride..lol

PerryW
02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I prefer a late starting season. That way you aren't tempted to tap too early.

As 3rdgenmaple said, you just can't predict it. There have been years that I haven't taken off syrup until Mar 30 and they still turned out okay.

PerryW
02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I prefer a late starting season. That way you aren't tempted to tap too early.

As 3rdgenmaple said, you just can't predict it. There have been years that I haven't taken off syrup until Mar 30 and the season still turned out good.

Frank Ivy
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Is there any info on the relative volumes?

In other words, if the temp stays low through March 1st and then you have 10 days of 45 in the day 25 at night, what is the volume for those 10 days relative to that same weather pattern occurring from Feb. 15 to Feb 25?

maple flats
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
It all depends on what the weather is like when it starts. If the weather warms too fast the season is short. On the other hand if we have an extended freeze, thaw pattern it can be excellent. There is no formula to go by. The only thing is that the later it starts the less likely it will be a real long season. My earliest last boil was April 2 and my latest was April 24. There is no forcastable certainty about what we will get.