PDA

View Full Version : should I tap now coast of maine

jordy95
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
should I tap now

michelle32
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Jordy95, It would help others with your question if we new if you had buckets, gravity tubing or vac to answer you. If on vac you can tap earlier. If on buckets or gravity you may want to wait a couple more weeks. This is just my thoughts on this some of the other guys on here that have been doing this long can probably answer this better. Keith

jordy95
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
sorry it would be on buckets

MapleME
02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
way too early jordy

Maple Ridge
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I put out two test buckets today and picked up a couple gallons of 2 percent. I am trying to hold off at least another week, but it is hard. I am wondering if the weather is going to hold of not. Strange weather pattern. I usualy tap the last saturday of the month.

jordy95
02-13-2010, 06:33 AM
ya I think it is early to but, the weather looking to be warm days and cold nights

Dave Lister
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I was personally thinking of putting in about 15 taps on a few Roadside trees where I live in South Windham. Weather Forecast says it should be up in the low 40's for the later part of this week, with nights going as low as high 20's.
I think I will atleast have everything ready and see how the week progresses.

MapleME
02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
T, keep up on the forum about how your trees do. I looked back at when we tapped the past few years and its always been after the first of march in Brunswick. Our weather is probably identical to yours...

Josh

JuniperHillSugar
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
"Are we there yet?" "Not yet, just around the corner though"

Dave Lister
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I've actually decided to wait till the last weekend in February come hell or high water. I think I put my taps in too early last year and only got about 5 galllons of syrup from 90 taps on gravity. I think I got too excited when it got nice and warm and I got to go outside in a sweat shirt so I started putting in taps. Then it went below freezing for 2 weeks. I think that did me in.
So this year, I'm waiting till the last weekend in february, or I know for sure that its going to be well above freezing for the next week.

In the end, I can't really complain about running out of sap last year. I ran out of wood at the same time so it all worked out.

Tim

Maple Ridge
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I feel that I am missing out on a early run. I am tapping this weekend. The worse that can happen is it will freeze up for a week. March is just around the corner. I have everything set up, cleaned and charged. :evil:

KenWP
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Pretty soon we are going to be in the 6 week envelope of when taps dry up and be able to tap with out worrys of looseing out much. Last year was a exception as it ran extra long but we won't always have a long season.