PDA

View Full Version : Best Flannel Shirt?

BryanEx
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
As a maple producer I feel it's imperative that I be dressed appropriately with a red flannel shirt while boiling but here's the delema...

I had a great shirt for years that only seemed to become more comfy with each wash when the stickiness of spilled syrup and smell of wood smoke became to great for even me to bare. One day I accidentally caught the lower front of the shirt on a nail head and tore a huge triangle of fabric loose. Heartbroken, I went out and purchased a replacement thinking that all would be good again - but I was wrong. Within a week some of the snap buttons started pulling through the fabric and the quilted lining started to bunch up. Despite several attempts at replacing my old favourite similar issues have been repeated over and over again.

Please help me out here. Who makes a good quality quilted red flannel shirt so I can once again be a well dressed maple syrup guy? I'd really prefer one that has side pockets, snap buttons, a breast pocket with that little slit for a pen to go through the flap (for my thermometer), and no hood attached.

I realize that most members here are US based but I have no problem shopping cross-border if needed to get my perfect sugurin' shirt instead of the disposable made in China stuff I seem to end up with. Who cares about a Thunderbolt evaporator? I want my flannel shirt back! :cry:

farmall h
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Well, if I were you... I would keep the thoughts of the Thunderbolt evaporator and go online to the Woolrich site. They have some mighty fine outdoor wear. Good luck!

vtmaplemaker
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
forget the flannel... go with wool, and no one makes a better wool shirt/coat then Johnsons Wollen Mills in Johnson, VT

stoweski
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
forget the flannel... go with wool, and no one makes a better wool shirt/coat then Johnsons Wollen Mills in Johnson, VT

I second that statement! They're not made in China. And while you're at it how about a pair of Darn Tough socks from Cabot Mills!

BryanEx
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
There's the catch for me... wool makes me itchy around the neck and I've always liked how flannel gets softer as it ages. The quilted lining is also important for me because it makes it so easy to throw the shirt on or off depending on the heat from the evaporator and/or sunshine. If you've ever had a favourite leather jacket that was broken in just perfectly but your wife couldn't stand seeing you wear it because it was so worn out... you'll understand my problem. :cry:

farmall... I checked out Woolrich and they certainly have good stuff but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Going to check Cabot Mills now...

KenWP
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I like this one. I wore a carrhart like lined coat for many years. Everybody laughed at it becasue the sleeves were worn so short. Made it great for dressing deer and working on machinery as the sleeve didn't get in the way. The rest of the coat held up just the sleeves disappeared.
I take it your after what we call a doeskin jacket. Its soft checkered cloth or solid colors and has snaps or buttons. I have had a couple where I had to put different snaps on them with the back built up to not pull through.
I found a great lined flannel shirt in grey that is what you want. Now if this senile mind can remember where I found it.

Stickey
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Sitting here laughing, I can relate. I just today picked up a pair of Vasque sundowner hiking boots, that I had to order and wait for. I had a pair that I bought over 10 years ago, lasted for ever, most comfortable boot ever, feet always stayed dry and warm, etc, etc. I guess back then they were made in Italy, Now Guess where they are made. I don't plan on them being what they used to, but had to take the chance. Good luck on the flannel, but keep in mind things just aint what they used to be.... At least not down here.

MapleME
02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Filson. Might as well have the best.

maplehound
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
try this one http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-shirts/52007.aspx?feature=product_7 I have always been a fan of Duluth trading company they sure have some good quality stuff.

Dave Y
02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Cabelas sells a very nice wool shirt that is lined around the collar and cuffs, No itch. I love mine

buxtonboiler
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I actually prefer red chamois shirts from LL Bean. 2 breast pockets, button up. nice and warm and last quite awhile.

stoweski
02-12-2010, 06:27 AM
I'd still try to find a Johnson Woolen shirt first before ruling them out. I believe some are flannel lined.

I also rely on a good Hurricane shirt from Beans. I have four of them and they all have held up very well and are quite warm. May be worth looking at. They are canvas with a flannel liner. Oh, and they wash quite well too... even though they're made in Indonesia or something like that.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Everybody has them on 70 to 80 percent clearance now, go get 4 or 5 for the price of one so you won't run out so soon.

oldtimesugar
02-13-2010, 05:37 AM
I use to wear flannel shirts when boiling.
Now I buy canvas type shirts made by carrhart. They seam to repel sparks when firing better.

jason
2x8 6ft max
550 taps 09 hoping for 700 this year

802maple
02-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Try Vermont Flannel Company

www.vermontflannel.com

BryanEx
02-13-2010, 08:35 AM
It doesn't surprise me that many folks have their own favourite stuff to wear sugurin' but boy... am I ever in big trouble now with all these suggestions. Seems my wife has also been checking out all the clothing companies suggested and one of my credit cards is missing. :o

Ken - I think you have the best idea of what it is I'm looking for but it is good to know I'm not alone in my struggle to replace an old favourite.

Stickey - really hope the new boots work out for ya.

802maple - Great suggestion and nice clothing. I will likely make a purchase from them along with others but I'm pretty sure I'll pass on their flannel thongs. I don't think they'd be warm enough in the snow. :lol:

maple flats
02-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I've had similar problems. I like the chamois shirts but even the traditional best brands are junque these days. I had a 5 Brothers shirt, good company but they went import. The first time I wore the shirt about half of the buttons came off (I the shirt was not too tight). I wrote a letter to the company but never heard any reply. I no longer buy 5 Brother. Many of the other top name brands are going the same, inported, inferior fabric and stitching. I used to be able to wear a shirt out, now I get much less wear and they are ready to throw out. Not even good enough to put in the clothing drive. Parts fail way before they become frayed and worn.

JohnM
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I have been wearing chamois shirts for years and watched the quality steadily erode. The best ones I have now are Cabela's "Deerskin Soft". Nice and thick, buttons stay on longer.

farmall h
02-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Has anybody tried boil'in NAAAKED? Boots and gloves. That's all you need.:lol:

Oops, wrong thread....this belongs in the "food-grade" category.

802maple
02-15-2010, 05:47 AM
They might be warm enough, depends if your wife gets a pair too.

802maple - Great suggestion and nice clothing. I will likely make a purchase from them along with others but I'm pretty sure I'll pass on their flannel thongs. I don't think they'd be warm enough in the snow. :lol:[/QUOTE]

red maples
02-15-2010, 06:46 AM
I am a freak when it comes to warm clothes...I hate them. I am extemely tolerant to the cold(russian blood I guess) people think I am nuts. I am usually out of place in the cold people all bundled up hats coat gloves. got my T-shirt lightly insulated flannel and a baseball hat(still wear shorts up until x-mas). I go indoors people have on sweaters and flannels turtle necks, man I am in a t-shirt and I am sweating!!

but I may just get a nice red flannel and keep it in the sugar house when people come over I will throw is on...poser I guess.:lol:

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Bummer! I thought I had found one locally. Perfect colour, right style and fabric, pockets the way I wanted them... then I washed it to soften it up.

Cuffs are now at my elbows and my wife has taken over ownership. She thinks it's great she does not have to roll the sleeves up a couple of times to wear "my comfy shirt". Keep shoppin' Bryan... keep shoppin'....... :cry:

KenWP
02-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the club. I buy 3xxx stuff so it fits for a couple of washes. Bought a t-shirt once at a fair and the lady asked who I was buying it for.

BryanEx
06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
A year and a half later I thought I'd update this thread. I did manage to find another red quilted flannel shirt with side pockets that wasn't bad at Mark's Work Warehouse. The sleeves shrunk slightly and the stitching in the side pockets shrunk extensively but the quilted lining and snap buttons stayed put. Still not like my original shirt but not bad considering the alternatives here in Canada.

- Bryan

BryanEx
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
A perfect match for my sugarin outfit....

KenWP
09-16-2011, 08:58 PM
You will look like Red green with that on.I had or have I don't know which a hat I got from Sears that worked for hunting. Never have seen another one like it since.

3rdgen.maple
09-16-2011, 10:04 PM
You know if the women dont find you handsome they better find you handy. LOL

BryanEx
09-17-2011, 05:27 AM
...they better find you handy
That's my regular day job. :D

Greenwich Maple Man
09-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Is that the Mad Bomber hat? I've had a couple. They are realy warm.

sugarmountain
09-17-2011, 07:45 PM
802 i cant believe you didnt mention the ultimate classic vermont sugarin uniform, Johnson wool (red & black checkered) from johnson wollen mills Johnson vt. All usa ! most others are now imported even woolrich and ll.bean?

stoweski
09-17-2011, 08:00 PM

I have the same hat. Bought it in Johnson (Woolen) a few years ago. Wear it while snowblowing.

I like to freak the kids in my class out and wear it in school. I guess plaid red is just not cool anymore. Oh well, it keeps me warm!

3rdgen.maple
09-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I have the same hat. Bought it in Johnson (Woolen) a few years ago. Wear it while snowblowing.

I like to freak the kids in my class out and wear it in school. I guess plaid red is just not cool anymore. Oh well, it keeps me warm!

Ummm hats not DOT approved to be snowmobiling in;)

stoweski
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Sorry 3rdgen, I don't have a snowmobile. I wear it on my tractor while snowblowing. Keeps me good & warm!

Now if I had a snowmobile I would think the hat would still be very warm. maybe They could make a helmet that's red plaid color!! :D

3rdgen.maple
09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Bet you cant guess what I have been thinking about the past few mornings with a frost on the ground,,,, yep snowmobiling lol. My mistake.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Bet you cant guess what I have been thinking about the past few mornings with a frost on the ground,,,, yep snowmobiling lol. My mistake.

Wonder if we will have a year like last year. Seemed like it snowed every other day. I know the riding here in Greenwich was great. Didn't even have to travel to ride at all.

KenWP
09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
I must be weird I am hopeing for Indian summer so I can get my summer work done.
I am finding it hard to buy winter cloths right now all the 2 xls are gone already.

adk1
09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I prefer wool acutally. Johnson Woolen Mills in VT make a great product, and MADE IN THE USA!.

GramaCindy
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I must be weird I am hopeing for Indian summer so I can get my summer work done.
I am finding it hard to buy winter cloths right now all the 2 xls are gone already.

can I LIKE this post?