PDA

View Full Version : Ready to go....

Beans Maple
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
This is killing me. Work is slow and not much snow in the woods means I have been very productive in getting both the woods and the sugarhouse ready for this season. The tanks are clean, lines are tight, new vacuum pump installed, supplies sitting on the shelves, gas in the pumps, and batteries charged for the drills..........and no freakin sugaring weather in sight. My wife is hating me becuase everyday I find one more thing to tweek or replace. I have never been this ready before in my life...I don't like it.

markct
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
yea same here, a month ago i was panicking cause i didnt think i would be ready, now im sitting around waiting and fidling with everything in sight, modifying and improving etc

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
This is killing me. Work is slow and not much snow in the woods means I have been very productive in getting both the woods and the sugarhouse ready for this season. The tanks are clean, lines are tight, new vacuum pump installed, supplies sitting on the shelves, gas in the pumps, and batteries charged for the drills..........and no freakin sugaring weather in sight. My wife is hating me becuase everyday I find one more thing to tweek or replace. I have never been this ready before in my life...I don't like it.

If you are running 2400 taps on a 3.5 x 10, you will be wishing for a slow day or two in about 4 weeks! LOL!

madmantr
02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey all ,
I am brand new to all of this .I did a trial run on my homemade block evaperator this afternoon.A couple of tweeks and I think it should work fine . It has been around 40 the last couple of days and it looks like it will be for the next 10 days at least .I put out a couple of sample taps and am getting almost .6 gals each from 2 of them since 9 am. I noticed that the third one I tried doesn't seem to be coming out of the spile but I notice sap on the bark. I don't see any crack in the tree and the spile seems snug . I just read some of you telling rookie to hold off in Vermont .I'm about 60 miles south of Vermont did I jump the gun. thanks for all of hte great information.

50 taps
homemade block arch
5 stainless hotel pans

Snow Hill Farm
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Harlan,

Wish I were in your shoes, finally got my main lines updated and added on to, still have most of my branch lines to replace, work is busy, kids have been sick, sugarhouse is a mess, wife tired of it already! Been working at night with a head lamp to try and keep up. As long as this weather holds for a while in northern VT I think I'll be all right.... Just to give you the other end of the spectrum!

vtsnowedin
02-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey all ,
I am brand new to all of this .I did a trial run on my homemade block evaperator this afternoon.A couple of tweeks and I think it should work fine . It has been around 40 the last couple of days and it looks like it will be for the next 10 days at least .I put out a couple of sample taps and am getting almost .6 gals each from 2 of them since 9 am. I noticed that the third one I tried doesn't seem to be coming out of the spile but I notice sap on the bark. I don't see any crack in the tree and the spile seems snug . I just read some of you telling rookie to hold off in Vermont .I'm about 60 miles south of Vermont did I jump the gun. thanks for all of hte great information.
50 taps
homemade block arch
5 stainless hotel pans
Maybe not. Every 100 miles north or south makes about a weeks difference on when winter breaks and then add or subtract another week for each 1000 feet in elevation and throw in a fudge factor for southern vs. northern exposures. When your trees are running that's the time to make syrup. Never mind what other people far away are doing. Have a three percent buckets flowin over year.:D

Beans Maple
02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Snowhill,
I am usually in your shoes...I feel pretty akward being actually ahead of the game. I'm going to be in Lyndonville next week...maybe I should stop by and lend a hand...