PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gasification Rocket Stove Evaporator ????

jayburd73
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey I've been sitting around waiting for my torch tanks to be tested and refilled so I can start building my new arch. Ive been looking threw youtube. I came across alot of these" rocket stoves" that are being built. They are a wood gasification type stove that can be built out of stuff as small as coffee cans or as big as 55 gallon drums. Does anyone know of anyone that has tried to build one into an evaporator. These stoves are no Joke, they are super efficient and get super hot with no smoke once they get going. There is a way to adjust the stove so most of the heat is on top. I thought you could cut the top off and put on a pan and make a hell of an evaporator out of these.

twofer
02-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I actually heat my home with a gasification boiler and you are very correct when you say they are very efficient. And after welding up the frame for my evaporator, that was based off DavyJone's plans, I got to thinking about how it could be converted to gasification. I should probably put my thoughts into a SketchUp model since I don't think I'm going to do a good job of explaining them but here goes anyways.

The first thing that would need to be changed is forming a ceramic nozzle in the primary combustion chamber over the ash pit. Inside this ceramic nozzle would be two steel tubes mounted horizontally and connected to an air chamber on the front of the evaporator. Also connected to this air chamber would be two inlets for pressurizing the primary combustion chamber. This pressure would force the combustion gasses down through the ceramic nozzle which would mix them with fresh air from the from the steel tubes. After re-igniting in the ash pit the gasses would flow out the back and up the backside of the primary combustion chamber wall. The air for this whole operation would be supplied by a blower mounted to the air chamber previously described. The blower would be connected to PID so that blower speed could be adjusted.

I'm not an expert and this is just an idea so take it with a grain of salt. Fun to dream though.

dano2840
02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
i know a guy- martin vontrapp who has a 5x15 gasification evaporator it is a standard wood fired arch with a chip gasificator bolted to the front burns hot and very efficient.

chrisnjake9
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
erick baudy up in grafton heats his house with a hms tarm wood gassifer we could go look at it if you think it would help no joke

twofer
02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
erick baudy up in grafton heats his house with a hms tarm wood gassifer we could go look at it if you think it would help no joke

That is exactly the style I am talking about mimicking.

BTW - I heat with an EKO 40, which is the same style.

Russell Lampron
02-13-2010, 06:10 AM
This is the principle behind the new Hurricane Force 5 evaporator that Lapierre just came out with.

Pete S
02-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for posting this subject as I found a ton of way cool things to look at and read!

Pete

maplemaple2020
02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
my evaporator is homemade and its a pellet stove boiler and boils really hot, it was a good investment:D