PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a skimmer?

Lazarus
02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I just realized ... I don't have a skimmer for this year. I'll be using a Mason Evaporator, boiling about 20 taps worth .... It's a 2x3 three stage pan with a draw-off value and a preheater.

Is this something I am really really going to need, or can I make do with a small strainer (which is kind of semi-round, but not flat on the bottom)?

I don't have a scoop either, but I'm not sure exactly why I would need that either ...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't use either. I got a nice new stainless skimmer with my evaporator a few years ago and it collects dust.

maplwrks
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
They look great hanging on the wall--I don't use a scoop or skimmer

Amber Gold
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Skimmer no, a scoop yes. Scoops are handy for moving syrup if you end up making syrup in the middle of the pan, it's also handy for checking when it's syrup. Syrup will sheet off the scoop.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I have both that I tried to sell on Ebay They are nice old English tin. I hid them from people that wanted to scrape the bottom of the shiny stainless. Like fingers on a chalk board. Plus who in their right mind would start scooping syrup with a semi hood over it HHHHHOOOOOTTTTT:lol:

hard maple
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
If you have a hooded flue pan you probably wouldn't use a skimmer that often
and if you have a cross flow pan you wouldn't be hoofing syrup from that middle channel(s) with your scoop
but it's always nice to check for that apron once in awhile visitors love that theory?

red maples
02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
I have a scoop, but I found a nice new stainless skimmer in the restaurant supply store by my house cost $12.00:)

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2010, 08:49 AM
IM THINKING A FOOD GRADE KITTY LITTER SCOOP:lol:

Lazarus
02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Wow, OK ....

So I'm hearing I probably don't need to shell out $54 for that new skimmer. :)

-Laz

3rdgen.maple
02-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I wont live without my scoop, I use it all the time, the skimmer comes in handy at times to get some floaties out of the pans. Since switching to a flue pan and using defoamer the purpose of the skimmer has pretty much gone. Not like the old days in the flat pans when there was nasty foam to skim out.

KenWP
02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I just bought a expensive $1 SS slotted spoon and a wire strainer and it seems to work for me. I can't see spending the money the maple crooks want for SS anything.