PDA

View Full Version : Reusable check valves

backyardsugarer
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I have been doing my homework on this product as I will probably want to use it next year (brand new tubing this year). Why doesn't someone make a reusable check valve that could be removed and sanitized each year? Why can't you reuse the current check valves? Just wondering as I plan ahead.

Chris

Ridgeland Farm
02-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I attended the maple conference in bellows falls this year and the same question was asked. Well almost the same! It was asked why we need to get all new spout adaptors every year or new cv's every year and why we cant just boil or sanitize our spouts or adaptors instead. and the simple answere I heard was that it does not get rid of all the bacteria. Yes it is better than not doing it at all and using the same spouts but there is still a certain level of contamination that will take place.

PerryW
02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I would like to see more study on whether plastic can be sanitized. I believe it takes several years of data to proove the cost-effectiveness of any new technology.

Certainly the Doctor was seemingly basing some of his conclusions (regarding the Check Valves) on a single season of data.

Clan Delaney
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm not quoting research here, but I think one of the issues with sanitizing things like check valves and spouts is that it's not cost effective when you're talking about thousands of units.

Personally, I'm running only 50 taps, so for me, boiling them at the end of the season is no big deal. I understand that I cannot make them as clean as a brand new tap, but I believe they're in far better shape than a used, uncleaned one. And I'm using new drops this year.... so I'm happy with my level of new vs. old.

KenWP
02-18-2010, 05:08 PM
You can sanitize medical instruments so the plastic spouts and spiles and such should be able to be sanitized to some acceptable standard. For the small guy anyways. I worked for a engineering company as a efficency sort of person and there is proof that for a lot of things just useing new is cheaper then trying to reuse old. For a big big producer throwing them out and just useing new would probbably be more cost efficient.

sapman
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Personally, though I'm small (2000~taps), I still would rather not spend time sanitizing spouts, especially when the benefit may not really be there. I'd rather just call it a $700 operating expense. But I understand, if just producing for yourself and you don't need high production, it's an unnecessary expense.

All the best,
Tim

802maple
02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
The main reason that you can't get all the bacteria out of a plastic spout is it permeates the plastic and forever is concealed.

johnallin
02-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Soak them in vodka, rinse with water, drink the vodka...problem solved. There can't be a real valid reason to just throw them out; I mean how much sense does that really make? Unless you're the one selling the valves...it doesn't. We throw enough stuff away as it is.

markcasper
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Jerry, If there was a way to recycle them, they could never be used for maple, eh? If you melted them down again, the bacteria would still be in the plastic? Because no mater how hot you could get them, you could never kill all of the bacteria, they could however, be recycled into other items such as radiater hose, etc...

3rdgen.maple
02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I do believe Patrick (Clan Delany) is right on the money. Any body who sits there and cleans a few hundred taps for their small operation has to consider how long it would take a large producer to so this. @35cents they are gonna throw them out or recycle them before they spend their time doing this or if they pay a helper there is no way it would be cheaper to have him sit there and spend days sanitizing taps. Then there is the point that plastic has pores and cannot be cleaned to like new condition with the equipment the majority of us have. Now if a small producer wants to take the time they can have the next best thing. Gently used taps. I am thinking here that there could be a second market for the used ones for the small guys who just do not care to replace taps every year and willing to save a few cents. But with that said are these taps so fragile that there usefulness would be compromised if reused?

markcasper
02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I used to wash, brush, and boil the 5/16 to 5/16 Leader adaptors. On the 3rd time out I ran into alot of vacuum leaks due to the tips getting compromised. You have to use a 1/2" wrench and pliers to remove the adaptors and it wrecked the plastic in that spot where plastic turns against plastic. I do however continue to do the above with the 7/16" to 5/16 adaptors remaining.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2010, 06:40 AM
If I was going to reuse them and sanitize them good, I would try soaking them for about a month or two fully covered in alcohol and then check them to make sure it didn't compromise the strength of them.

802maple
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Also because they are made to be thrown away they do not have the UV protection that other fittings have. I say if you want to reuse them then nobody but yourself knows better what is right for you than yourself.

maplwrks
02-19-2010, 10:04 AM
For all of you that like to wash adaptors, I'll have 2000 that I'll send you after the season!!

Brent
02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
According to the DR there is no easy way to sanitize them.
Chlorinating (bleach), alcohol, boiling, detergenent etc, will not remove what he calls the biofilm of microbes. The research was done on the replaceable spouts on stubbies and it apparently proved to be more profitable to replace them than try to sterilized them, because the new ones kept the tap holes cleaner longer and running longer.

maple flats
02-20-2010, 06:29 AM
At $.35 or $.39 a piece why would you even consider it? You must have other things in your operation that can make better use of your time.
On a second note, Dr. Tim Perkins said the plastic slightly conforms to the hole during use and will not effectively seal a second year. This also applied to the regular adapters and even plastic taps. Besides the bacteria issue new seals better. As for adapters to spouts or stubbies, you now have 2 pieces of plastic formed on the same taper, so the seal is not compromised.
Take your time you would have "sanitised" the CV adapters and do some improvements to your collection system, or expand it or both. Do some stand improvement by thinning. Or even go take some time off and go fishing or just hiking.

3rdgen.maple
02-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't. I was wondering if they would not seal right if reused, thanks. I think I will just go fishing sounds like a much better plan.