PDA

View Full Version : Freezing CDL RO

markcasper
02-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Ok guys, I am all freaking out! Long story short..........I was told by Pete Roth I think, am not for exact sure, but it was someone that new RO'S, and sold them. It was told to me that put your memebrane in the house in the off season, that I did.

The rest of the machine, as long as it was drained during the OFF SEASON, the plugs left open would be alright to leave ine the sugar shack, unheated, that it would make no difference, it could get below zero.........

I boxed it in the corner of my insulated room and put a milkhouse heater in there, keeping it around 40. (Thought I'd play it safe and not let it freeze regardless) Well the $&@#%^ milkhouse heater malfunctioned several days ago and the temp in the room was down to 20 upon checking it the other day.

I turned the knob on the heater and the dang thing started arcing and sparks coming out of it. Thats another storry!!!! I could have lost the whole works!

I looked up at the RO and noticed the feed pump gauge was reading 20, and its completely disasembled. I'm going UH OHHHH, Not GOOD!! I got a different heater in the room, came back 8 hours later and noticed the pressure gauge was back down at zero, along with maybe 10-20 drops of water on the floor, directly under the turbine pump drain. I investigated and noticed the small black tube going from the feed pump pressure gauge down to the bottom of the turbine pump.
I am figuring that small line may have never drained last summer, it froze, then expanded, and caused the pressure gauge to rise. When it thawed out, it released its air lock and then drained out the drain of the turbine pump. Thats my analysis for that.

I had the RO tipped in various directions last fall with all of the drain plugs and valves removed and noticed not one drop of anything coming out when I shoved it in the corner for winter.

Bottom line.......did this little episode cause damage to the pumps or componets? Has anyone had this happen or is it no big deal and I am just all freaking out for nothing?? Am I going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ surprised in a month or so??? Remember, it only got down to 20, not zero. And we all know that major damge and cracks to pipes usually happens when it starts hitting zero.

802maple
02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
If you are confident that you drained everything you should be alright. There will always be alittle water left in the machine. If you drained the feed pump and disconnected the hoses of your columns you should be okay. The main thing that I found became damaged was the pressure control valves, it doesn't take much water in them to crack them. If you look at them, if there is any damage, it will be visible with a hairline crack.
Just make sure before you start it up that your room has been heated for a couple days and you should be fine.

I like to tip columns on there top during the off season with the older style CDL and Lappierre machines, that way water won't seep by the mechanical seal and rust up the bearing on the motor.

markcasper
02-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks Jerry for the encouragment!

I am a bit baffled as to why a knowledgable person said that it was ok to just leave it out there with NO heat all winter, when you can't ever get all of the water out of evry nook and crevis. Whos being fooled?

802maple
02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Most RO's are left out in the cold for the winter. I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but I loosen alot of fittings just to be sure water comes out.

Jerry

Maple/Cherry
02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I purchased a used RO and brought it home in the back of a pickup at about 20 below. I ended up replacing all the gages as they were giving inconsistent readings. The membrane I kept in the cab.

orser506
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Dont forget to disassemble the one way check valves , flapper type ... saves headaches at start up

markcasper
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
For the record, RO worked like a charm, the freeze did not hurt it, guess I got it drained fully.