PDA

View Full Version : dipped my toe in...

40to1
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
The forecast was for cold temps, but the wind was low and the sun was warm....
The ice patches and snow banks have puddles round them, and I noticed the neighbor's maples was sweating sap where some limbs had been cut. So I decided to tap two trees.
Of course I'm in the Boston area, which means I'm about two weeks ahead of the Great North ....And the curiosity is killing me. I was eager to test my new tree saver spouts and tubing/bucket system.
Anyways, I'm happy to report that there's condensation in the tubes....

It wouldn't have killed me to wait a few more days...

03weim
02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Well do tell how many taps did you put out? and about how much sap did you get from each tap, did they flow today?

Fishgill
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't blame you for trying. We are starting to get anxious out here in north central MA.:D

40to1
02-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I had set out just four taps in the backyard.
Nothing in the buckets today - but I didn't expect anything. There just wasn't enough freeze/thaw going on.

Here's a strange twist: I have switched to using the 5/16 spouts with tubing into a bucket. I think it looks fine - actually looks somewhat professional.
But when my wife saw it she really didn't like it. Since I'm tapping many of the neighbors' trees, she said, "Oh no, you can't be putting buckets like that all over the neighbors' lawns.... They'll hate it."

Our neighbors are great, but I see her point. We live in a residential neighborhood and people may be expecting a more classic/timeless sugaring look (ie., buckets).

So this AM, I made yet another order to Bascoms.... (sigh)....

Dill
02-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey post an ad up here looking for buckets first.
Trust me. You'll get a better deal than bascoms.

foursapssyrup
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
there was a guy selling 50 sap buckets on worcester CL today. try that, we tend to get used food grade 5 gal buckets from local supermarkets. most of them have no smell, the ones that do we don't use, and we usually get 4-5 a week with lids if we want them.

SeanD
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks 40 to 1 for taking the first step. I had the same forecast, but have felt a significant difference in the sun and wind as well. I have to hold off because I'm not ready yet, but have gotten a little panicky feeling the change in the weather. I'm kind of glad things aren't gushing there, yet. (sorry)

I'm in the same boat on the "looks" of the sugaring in the neighborhood. I'm tapping my neighbors for the first time and I use the white baker's buckets. I hope it passes the aesthetics test and they didn't have their heart set on a Currier and Ives print. If not, I'll be scrounging for those traditional galvanized buckets.

Thanks for the CL tip on buckets, foursapsyrup. Of course, 40 to 1, you have first dibs :)

Sean

johnallin
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
40-1 and SeanD....once they taste your syrup, they won't care if you put neon flamingos up to catch the sap......if they are set on galvanized buckets, and you're using food grade pails, be sure to show them one or two of the posts in here regarding food grade vs. galvanized......

40to1
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
SeanD - Thank you! But grab the buckets if you want them. I'm all set for this season.

I tapped three big maples this afternoon (my neighbor's trees) ...and the sap was running.
The set-up looks good - very charming - very Currier & Ives. --- but really kind of a "Frankenbucket" monster.
Originally I got the Leader 5/16 tree saver spouts to go with tubing. But now I'm "repurposing" them to be used with buckets. I hang the bucket using loops of picture-frame wire (I forgot to order hooks). Since the spouts don't reliably clear the edge of the bucket rims, I add several inches of tubing to the spout (finally got to use the tubing) to steer the sap into the center of the bucket.

And then, because all this wasn't complicated enough (for these three trees only), I put a sap bag in the bucket - wrapped and clamped with a clothespin around the tubing. These three trees are right on the sidewalk and it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to think that a passerby in a larcenous mood, would think it funny to spit into the sap.

It took some doing, but I got the clean, closed system I wanted and my wife got the charm of buckets that she wanted.

03weim
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
have you started boiling yet

40to1
02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I've only collected about 15 gallons. Perhaps I'll have enough to do a boil on Wednesday.

03weim
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
we got about 6 gallons last night hoping for our fist boil Thursday or Saturday

SeanD
02-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey 40 and 03,

How many taps/gallons are you getting a day?

Are you hitting the 40s there? The regional forecast says 40 and 40+ for the days ahead, but my thermometer at the house hasn't broken 38.

Sean

40to1
02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
I have 23 taps in, but it's only seven trees that are giving me anything.
After three days of collecting, I have approx 30 gallons of 2.5% sap waiting in the tank.
Planning on a boil on Friday.

The long term forecast sounds great. Bumping 40˚(but not breaking it) during the day, and mid-20s at night. Could just some sun to warm up the trees a bit...

03weim
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
we set out about 8 taps and we are getting 7 gallons a day we are going to put out the rest of the taps about 8 more this weekend its been in the high 30s here

SeanD
02-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the updates. Good luck with the boil(s)!

Sean