PDA

View Full Version : PA Storms

stifflej
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Well, did any of you other PA guys get snowed out of your woods for a while? We got almost 30 inches of snow in Cambria county, and with another 12 forecasted for today and tomorrow. I would probably have a heart attack trying to get to my trees now...guess I won't be tapping for a while...

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Stifflej-I know the feeling. I ordered some snow shoes and figured I would try and see how they work out in the woods. It's time to start watching the weather close, could be time to tap real soon.

Jim Brown
02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
We are going to the woods reguardless of the snow this Satuday. Have a crew of 4 that will tap even if it is 3 feet deep

ps. They have tapped on snow shoes before

Jim

stifflej
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I guess I can use my sons shoes as snow shoes, they are as big as boats:lol:

Turtlecreek
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I have tapped and collected buckets in snow shoes the last few years. Even if the snow isn't that deep I use mine because they have stainless claws under my feet that help me get traction on hard crusty snow. I have a north facing bush so I need to deal with ice and hardpack for the begining of the season. I got mine at Sams club a few years ago and they work just fine for me.

waysidemaple
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
They are calling for 8 to 12 inches in Lock Haven. Anybody close to Lock Haven University? I go to school there and was wondering if anybody was in driving distance that I could come check out(20 to 30 minutes). Maybe help out during the season on weekdays, Im only able to tap a few trees "up home" and its killing me.

kinalfarm
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
i live on the ny pa line near erie, pa and we didt get the big sorm that went south of us. lucky! but we could get 12'' in the next 36 hours. i too use snow shoes a lot in the winter. i use them more for coyote hunting but tapping too. i also got mine at sams club for about $60ngreat investment.

Low budget maple
02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I am near Erie. I cheated and cleared the paths with my tractor and back blade. But don't realy want any more snow !!

tapper
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I am in the north east corner of Warren county. 1 month ago today was the last I plowed any snow here. Before that I plowed almost everyday for 2 or 3 weeks. We have maybe 5 inches on the ground now and really dont want anymore. So far we are being spared by todays storm.

Frank Ivy
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm in the snow belt 20 miles south of Erie. We got hit with 5" so far today, with another few on the way.

The ground, right now, is :

Muck/4" soft, wet snow/a 1" crusty snow/ 8" powder.

Really horrible to walk on. You're fighting not to fall through the crust, which was formed a few weeks back. When you fall through, you're into the ground muck, with a foot of difficult snow above your foot.

Not fun.

Still no sign of a break in the weather - Weather.com says the next 10 days will all be well below freezing, night and day.

Wait for it.

Turtlecreek
02-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Wayside, I know there is a producer south of you in near Livonia on top of the mountain I,m not sure what the name is. Livonia is south of loganton.

mapleack
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
i'm pushing back my tapping plans from this weekend to next weekend. Even so, I'll be out working with snowshoes this weekend.

waysidemaple
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Turtlecreek- Thanks Ill look into it and see if I can figure out a name. Hopefully I can figure something out.

Paddymountain
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
with 10 inches of snow on Saturday and 10 more today, I think I'm going to take the plow off my skidloader and put the bucket back on to bucket out a trail to the trees in my woods. It don't look like it's time to tap, so Saturday I'll try and get everything set up, and push some more snow out of the way, at least then I'll be able to haul sap decently when it's time to tap.

jmbinventions
02-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Snow stopped!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I thought I was going to be buried alive, I have never seen this much snow in my life. I am 15 and can't ever remember seeing 3 feet of snow on the ground, it's unheard of down here. You guys ready for another northeaster on monday? At this rate tapping is never going to happen.

stifflej
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
We ended up with about 12 more inches of snow, with more snow forecasted for just about every day for the next week, with no signs of it warming up. This may have not been the best year for me to try this sugaring thing...just my luck...:(

jrthe3
02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
my dad talks about this he calls it the ten year season he says it cold right up till it snaps hot and stays hot he says you will make a lot of syrup but the season is only like 2 to 3 weeks log he says this happens every ten years so be ready to tap when it snaps

stifflej
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
jrthe3, I love this...know exactly where you are coming from...

"my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it" only in my case, it would be more than just he sugaring stuff...:lol:

HHM-07
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
How about some pics for us northern vermont guys, i don't know if it is sad or lucky that we have missed the last two big storms

umpwood1
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
stifflej,
I love your quote :lol: :lol: :lol: . I was planning on tapping this weekend, but the snow got in the way. It looks like good weather in about 10 days. I am close to State College.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
OK, for your NE guys. Here's a couple of pics on Monday before the next round hit.

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa160/wvmapler/Maple%20Syrup/?action=view&current=SNOW-2.jpg&newest=1

jrthe3
02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
last year i listen to Dave Y when to tap and he was right on the money so dave you out there what is the word for this year

stifflej
02-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, here are a couple pics anyway...First pic was taken this morning (Friday, 2-12) and it is still snowing. The second was on Monday, after the first storm...that's my English Shepherd, almost a year old, and loves the snow...he just can't figure out why we won't let him in that door though...

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp137/stifflej/Picture048.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp137/stifflej/Picture041.jpg

Gary R
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Boyd,

Dave is tapping his tubing this weekend. His buckets next weekend. I am going to help on Sunday. Hopefully I still have some gas in me. I'm helping Jim Brown on Saturday (tomorrow). I will probably tap next weekend. If you think about it, from next weekend to April 1 is 5 1/5 weeks. I doubt if we will make much to far into April.

If your looking for something to do this weekend......

Dave Y
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Guys,
My tapping schedule has changed. There has been a death in my family. My older brother died suddenly Wed evening. I don't have my woods ready now and my vacuum is not hooked up yet. I am not sure when I will be able to tap. I am hope to be ready by next weekend though.

Dan W
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Dave, Jack F told me about this tonight. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. May your sorrows heal and your memories last. Dan

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your brother, some things are way more important than making syrup and my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Gary R
02-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. My sympathy goes out to your family. When you are ready, let me know. I'll help you out some day.

tapper
02-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your brother Dave.

berry boy
02-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Very sorry to hear about your brother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Phil, Kim, Chelsea and Zack

walnutdalefarm
02-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Dave sorry to hear our thoughts are with you. Joel

Rhino
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Dave, sorry to hear that, will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim Brown
02-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Dave ; Sorry to hear about your brother.Gary R. Helped me today and told us
Anything we can do please don't be afraid to ask!

We will be praying for you and your family

Jim

sweetwoodmaple
02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Hello...finally back after skipping last year!

Hope to catch up with everyone at some point...Dave - we will be praying for you.

I have my Dad lined up for tapping February 20th. My two oldest are already addicted to Sugaring (at 10 and 8 years old). They are wonderful helpers, from stacking wood in the fall to being in the woods with me doing anthing that is needed. They can't wait until the sap starts flowing!

I am also going to try plumbing up two transmission oil coolers with a small gear pump to my Welch 1397 for this year. With just a little more cooling, I am hoping this pump will be able to run for days...which will be needed if the sap doesn't start running till March!

I have so much to get done this week!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Brian,

Great to see ya back. One thing is for sure, you are a better man than the rest of us. Identical twins last year = no sugaring in 2009 and another one due in June of this year which will make 6. You are putting the rest of us to shame. LOL!

Great to see ya back! Wondered where you were last year!

Gary R
02-14-2010, 05:48 AM
Brian,

I thought we lost you:) Stop by some time on your way home from work. Plenty of additions here (still small time). Hope we get things going soon. Good luck to you and stay in touch.

Jim Brown
02-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Brown's Maple in Northwest Pa IS TAPPED! with the help of GaryR-Gary McPartlin-Son Doug-Daughter Kim. Taps are all in the trees,vacuum pumps and generators are hooked up.What a day,2 feet plus of snow in the woods!!
Heart felt thanks to all!
Bring on the warm weather!!

Thanks
Jim

Dave Y
02-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Gentlemen,
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time for myself and my family.

caseyssugarshack93
02-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Dave Y im sorry to hear about your loss in the family the Casey family says prayers for you guys

Buckeye mapler
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Dave. I am not sure I know what area you are from, but if you were within 2 hours drive, I would be willing to come help tap or anything I could be a help of. But from southwest Ohio I will certainly keep you in my prayers. God bless.

Z/MAN
02-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Dave, Sorry for you loss.

driske
02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Dave,
Heartfelt sympathy's and condolences at thid time of your Brother's passing. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

802maple
02-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Hang in there Dave, sorry to hear of your loss.

Father & Son
02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Dave,
Sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Jim

stifflej
02-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Dave, sorry to hear about your loss.

On another note, we got another 6 inches of snow from Saturday til last night, and are calling for another 5-10 inches by tomorrow morning...apparently I live in the snow belt...working on borrowing a pair of snowshoes so I can tap soon, although I just looked at the 10 day forecast, and not one day over 31 degrees. I might get to start collecting sap in June...

Maplewalnut
02-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Dave Y very sorry for your loss. thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Mike

bprzyw
02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Dave, sorry for your loss.