PDA

View Full Version : Stack into the Cupola?

MartinP
02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Has anyone run their stack into the cupola and then just put a elbow on to get it to the outside.?
I haven't got the stack through the roof yet and with all the snow up there I am not looking forward to climbing around on the metal roof.
May just have to put 2 45s on and run it out the gable end of the house for this year if the cupola thing won't work.

Flat47
02-09-2010, 05:24 AM
I've seen several sugarhouses that run the stack up to the cupola and use one 45 degree and it seems to get the steam out just fine.

Dennis H.
02-09-2010, 07:20 AM
I visited a guy last year that did just as you are saying. He ran the steam stack up into the cupola and put a T fitting at the top but with the top half of the long side cut off. That way the steam could go either direction out of the cupola.

PerryW
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I think martin is talking about the smoke stack (not the steam stack).

I don't know of anyone who has run their smoke stack through the cupola using a couple 45's but I would think it would work, especially for a smaller size evaporator. You would get a little less draft, but probably not too much difference in overall evaporation rate. You would not have the inherent stability of a straight stack, so you might need to support the top of the stack or the 45's will rotate and the stack will go out of alignment.

You would still need to get some separation from the wood in the cupola to avoid a fire, so you might need to use some sheet metal (installed w/ spacers) to protect the wood.

Pete S
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Watch your clearance to combustibles!

MartinP
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes I am talking about the Smoke stack. I don't want to put a hole in the gable end of the shack if I don't have to, but after falling off the roof while putting it up I know that a little moisture makes for a nasty ride.
Maybe just cut through the roof and not worry about the roof jack until later in the year. Problem is when I put the roof on I decked solid under the metal. Really need to take 2 sheets of roofing off and cut out the decking and then put metal back. I was just thinking of a quick fix as time is getting short and we just got another bunch of snow today.

Flat47
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Gotcha.
Well, I saw an old sugarhouse (in dano2840's neighborhood) that had the smoke stack run up through the cupola. It extended well above the cupola (still required a roof jack), so it has been done before. I recall reading somewhere that running your smoke stack like that helps draw the steam up and out as the heat from the stack helps create convective air movement.

maple flats
02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
sounds dangerous to me. The best way is to get an extension ladder either from the ground up the angle of the roof (long, this is what I do) or get a shorter ladder, attach a good rope (must be good rope and perfect knot), tie the rope to the ladder and run the rope to an inmovable object on the other side, not the truck bumper unless you have the only key. Then walk up the ladder. I used to do roofing and both methods were used when climbing on steep or steel roofing where you could not get proper trction to just walk. Even if heights bother you, the ladder will make it do able. If the ladder is from the ground with a long unsupported section to climb, be sure to keep your balance or use another ladder to climb to the overhang and then climb over to to one on the roof. I just walk up while standing and balancing, but if uncomfortable, lean over and hang onto the sides of the ladder to aid you.

johnallin
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Martin, I also have solid decking (2X8's) under my metal roof. Drilled a 3/4" hole and had at it with a sawsall from inside the shack. Other than saw dust in my eyes it worked fine. Used a demolition blade and it went right through the wood and metal roofing above.

Good luck and Dave's ladder "on the roof" is the only way to go. We have a 12/12 pitch and I purchased a ladder hook that grabs the ridge and keeps the ladder where you want it.

PerryW
02-09-2010, 09:42 PM
A roof jack works better, but just cut a 16" x 16" hole in the peak of the roof and install a 18" X 18" piece of galv. sheet metal with a hole for the stack. You might have to cut out a piece of one of your rafters and protect the wood from fire, but it will work. That's how my stack has been for 20 years.