PDA

View Full Version : Ad on Craig's List

SeanD
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
These 275 gal. totes are a great deal, but just a bit too big for my backyard operation right now. I'm still better of with 2-3 55 gal. drums I'm getting somewhere else. I may kick myself in a season or two, but maybe I'll feel better knowing someone else took advantage of this. I have absolutely NO connection to the seller.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/grd/1585386490.html

Sean

Maplewalnut
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
You can get them for $75 if your ever in eastern Pa. Had vegeatble oil in them

caseyssugarshack93
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
over in vt when i was over there last year they were all over for like 50 bucks

briduhunt
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I just paid $90/each from a local winery. They held juices and concentrates. All food grade. Around here that is the going price, but I have seen them being sold for much higher.

SeanD
02-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah, those are much better prices. I need to live closer to farm country!

Sean

Doc
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
You can get them for $75 if your ever in eastern Pa. Had vegeatble oil in them

I have few 55 gallon metal drums that contained vegetable oil in their previous life. Anyone with any suggestions on how to clean them to store sap without tainting the syrup!!?? Would it effect the sap/ayrup if they were rinsed heavily but still smelled of veg. oil??
Thanks in advance.

ejmaple
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
i can get the same 275 gal totes, that had juice concentrate in them. $100 if your intrested sean d, i'am 40min from you.

farmall h
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Doc, have you tried steam-cleaning them?

Doc
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Doc, have you tried steam-cleaning them?

Not yet. I have dumped in several loads of hot water with a tiny bit of dish soap amd rolled them down our hill. Though quite entertaining for the neighbors, they till smell a bit. They look clean though!!!

farmall h
02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Doc, we have a steam cleaner down at the factory I work at and they steam clean every nasty thing on the face of the earth! I wonder if a small pressure washer with hot hot water could do the job?

Brent
02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
dress the totes up as a taxpayer

that'l get em cleanout out fast

Doc
02-11-2010, 06:49 AM
dress the totes up as a taxpayer

that'l get em cleanout out fast

Now that's almost as funny as a 55 drum, 1/2 full of water, rolling down a hill and me trying to control it!!! :)

Squaredeal
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I had some steel barrels which contained canola oil. Nothing would get all the oil out until a friend who owns a brewery suggested caustic soda (lye).
It was a bit frightening to use, but the barrels looked like new afterward.

KenWP
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
One thing to be careful of is that really hot water screws up some pressure washer hoses real quick. The caustic soda for dairy barn floors would strip the oil quick. Theres a degreaser for cleaning things like meat packing plants and such that strips grease and oil down to bare metal also and it works in pressure washers as long as you rinse the pressure washer with fresh water right after useing it. We had to actually put it in after the head because guys were to lazy to flush and screwed up all the pressure washers on me.

farmall h
02-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Doc, your 55 gal. drum should be 1/2 full of syrup...not water.:)

Doc
02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I had some steel barrels which contained canola oil. Nothing would get all the oil out until a friend who owns a brewery suggested caustic soda (lye).
It was a bit frightening to use, but the barrels looked like new afterward.

How did you use it and was it worth it to use or should I look elsewhere?

Doc
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Doc, your 55 gal. drum should be 1/2 full of syrup...not water.:)

Snowed in here in NE Ohio Farmall h. Hopefully the syrup is coming!!! :)

Squaredeal
02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Doc, You can buy it from a pool supply store. It is very, I mean very dangerous to use. You can find directions for using it online, but make sure to wear goggles and chemical resistant gloves.
On the plus side, It will definitely work.
Depending on how many barrels you have, It might be cheaper/easier to find some new barrels.

Doc
02-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Doc, You can buy it from a pool supply store. It is very, I mean very dangerous to use. You can find directions for using it online, but make sure to wear goggles and chemical resistant gloves.
On the plus side, It will definitely work.
Depending on how many barrels you have, It might be cheaper/easier to find some new barrels.

Thank You all for the info. I only have 4 barrels and will consider this as an option. Thanks.