PDA

View Full Version : Hose clamps

danno
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Seems like I spend a bunch of $ on hose clamps - mainlines, tank lines, valves etc, etc.

Anybody use the ones in this pic with success? Pic can now be enlarged to see the clamp. I usually use the bands that screw tighter - and for every 3 that work, I strip one out by over tightening.

And when connecting mainlines, I usually use two on either side of the pipe fitting. Is this overkill?

Oh - I stole the pic from Casey from another thread. Thanks Casey!

Amber Gold
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
The picture cannot be enlarged so I can't see what kind you're talking about.

I saw these at Lowe's:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/product-p/271ss.htm

They're cheap to buy and quick and easy to install. Is anyone using them and how do they stand up to high vac.? We used these when I was installing irrigation systems and they worked great for that.

maplecrest
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
that was what grimm used to sell years ago. i use ideal clamps they take a beating

Wanabe1972
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Danno I just replaced all those style clamp this year with the stainless threaded clamps. I had a lot of trouble keeping lines together with these and for me they are a pain in the behind to get on and off. I even bought correct pliers to install them and still send a few out into the woods like a bullet trying to compress them. Thoses clamps Amber Gold is showing look like they could be pretty easy to use and the price is a ton less than what I paid for the threaded S.S.

sapman
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Danno, I was double clamping last year for awhile, too, as that's how I do it at work on underground lines. But I quit after awhile, and I never had one leak. I had some with no clamps for a bit even, and they didn't leak!

At work, I agree that Ideal clamps are probably the best. We used Breeze for a year, but had some problems. We've gone back to Tridon, and they seem stronger than older ones. Don't think I've stripped any in a long time.

Danno, are you using a standard nutdriver, or a high torque one like Sears used to have. I loved those, then they quit making them, of course.

Tim

jason grossman
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
i have used just about ever kind, style and brand of clamp out there! and i have found the breeze brand clamp with the gold colored nickel" not stainless" screw to work the best. very rarly have i had one strip. they work smooth and can be used over and over again. my 2 cents

farmall h
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
As Jason said, you have to buy a good quality ss worm gear clamp. The Ideal & Breeze brands are both very good. You have to buy the heavy duty clamp NOT the less expensive. These clamps come in two grades: light duty and heavy duty.

Haynes Forest Products
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I use the pinch clamps and cant live without them out in the woods. I always use two on a fitting.

farmall h
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I certainly would try the pinch clamps. How do you remove them Haynes?

sapman
02-09-2010, 06:52 PM
These sound like what we use on pex. If so, once pinched, there's usually a little "ball" left where you pinched. I take my heavy sidecutters and get right onto it, either cutting the ball off or twisting it around.

Tim

Ridgeland Farm
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I just set up my whole woods with the pinch clamps. So much cheaper and easier. I will let you know how they hold up under vac. I know some people get all uptight when you heat the pipe before you attach the t's or couplings or what have you but it helps get the clamp tighter around pipe. They are a bear to get off though so I wouldnt use them in a spot that needs to be disconnected a lot. but at 13 bucks a bag it makes it much easier to use the screw clamps in those spots that you need a quick disconnect!

maple flats
02-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I started using the pinch clamps like the ones referred to from Lowes in reply #2. They also sell the tool. Less than $20 for tool, clamps for 3/4" and 1", cheap and effective. Not sure about other sizes. I now use them for all clamping on tubing. If you need to change something they are not re usable, just twist back and forth a couple times and they break. price is so cheap, just use another. I got tired of the price and inferior quality of the all SS screw clamps, too easy to strip out and many times not easily re usable because the screw comes out when you take them apart to open.

lpakiz
02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Anybody use the nylon ones that are called "ratchet clamps"? They work like the saddle fittings tnat you squeeze tight with channel lock pliers...

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Farnall When I want to remove one of the clamps I take the tool and use it like a side cutter and just pinch down on the raised area and cut it off. I dont like the twisting and bending because it will crack the fitting sometimes. Last year I put in threaded unions on all my trail/road sections so I can remove without pulling poly of barb fittings.