PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood

PeddlerLakeSapper
02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Is there any reason that a hood shaped like an upside down V would not work for a hood?
Why are all, or most hoods flat on the top with angled sides?

vtsnowedin
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
The flat topped ones leave more space for the preheater that most people are going to want if they are going to the expense of a hood.

danno
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
It's also probably easier/cheaper to run your duct off a flat topped hood as opposed to coming off a peak.

markct
02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
i had that same thought when designing my hood, then realized that it would be alot harder to fit the pipe up to the top! altho i did see one at bascoms that was a peak and had the pipe fitted into it, but it was like 6ft wide so not alot of slope realy. and like others said the preheater fits better too. the attached picture shows my homemade hood on my 2x8 sorry its not real clear its a cam phone pic

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Larry Harris(lharris) who is a member on here has an upside "V" shaped hood and has a preheater in it and it works good. One problem with it is that it is a lot higher than a regular hood and he can't raise and lower it because of heighth of it.

If they were better designed like that, then all the manufactures would make them like that.