PDA

View Full Version : Tapping early

Tyler
02-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi, i'm fairly new to this maple syrup business and only run about 75 taps and have a 2x3 flat bottom pan, and i see that it is suppose to get a little warmer by the end of the week and was thinking of tapping. With that being said i know it's still a bit early and was wondering what might happen if I do tap to early, someone told me once that the holes will dry up before the season is over just wondering if this is trrue or not.

Thanks, Tyler

maple sapper
02-08-2010, 08:09 AM
To add to your question, Would using the new check valve style adapter prevent early dry up due to the in ability for air and microbes to get to the tap hole? Just a thought

red maples
02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
OK first

tyler...just wait to tap if you tap to early you miss out on sap. because the hole will dry up I did that last year and didn't get nearly the sap as if I had waited 2 more weeks .

second.

as for the check valve there is no back pressure to pull it closed beacuse the tree is frozen or dormant.

The big guys taps earlier because they have to. 10,000 or more taps is not going to get done in a few days. I believe they are shooting for volume.

just my opinion.

PerryW
02-08-2010, 02:22 PM
It is true, if you tap now, you will most likely miss the good runs in April unless (in theory) you are using high-vacuum and/or the new check valve spouts.

We will need a 3 or 4 day thaw just to get things running.