PDA

View Full Version : Ne Ohio Still Froze Up

LEROY MILLER
02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
the wheather is still well below freezing in these parts and really no sign of warming up.hope it dose soon , but its giving everyone plenty of time to get last minute work done. im ready to see the steam roll !!!!

maplemat1
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
boy is it cold just got home from a super bowl party and is 11:oo with a clear sky and i have 7 degress .looked up the forecast for the next ten days the highest is 31 next monday .i should be ready by then .can't wait to see the steam roll on the new evaporater!!!!!!!!!:lol: :)

Doc
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
So I am new to all of this and a bit eager. My buckets with drops going into them are covered in about two foot of snow. Nice. The evaporator is ready for sap though. I think. :)

LEROY MILLER
02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I think a couple of weeks and we will be taping it seams like its taking forever to get here but im not quite ready anyways, need to finish some tubing and do some cleaning in sugar house . hope we all have a good season .

maplehound
02-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I didn't tap till the first of March the last 2 years and this year is looking like that as well. I still need to finish going over the tubing in the woods and now I have 2 feet of snow with more on the way. It doesn't look good for a Feb. tapping anyways. However It does look good for a great year with all the moisture in the ground.

WoodButcher
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
here comes more of a storm ! i guess that groundhog was right over there in ugly steeler town :evil: . anyways, thats a good thing for me whos behind, just finished the grate on my new arch, going to put the sheet metal sides on this weekend. . .

LEROY MILLER
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
it looks like old man winter is guna hang on as long as he can this year. hopeing for the first of march or maybe last week this month ,this might be a year where we make all our syurp in a week or two

Buckeye mapler
02-11-2010, 09:01 PM
scared of that for sure. I can't remember a colder snowier winter.

Frank Ivy
02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
In NW PA, just across the line from Kingville, it's in the 20s and holding tight.

10 day forecast is calling for 24 hour, below 30 degrees weather for the next 10 days.

By my calculations, that puts us at February 22, the earliest, to tap.

This is my first real year. I'm bumming.:(

Buckeye mapler
02-12-2010, 10:07 AM
No different in southwest Ohio. Below freezing on every 7 day. I looked at the accuweather and they are predicting some warmer days in the 15 day forecast, but you know how that could change in a day or two. I just hope March gives us some really good sugaring weather!

LEROY MILLER
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
more snow coming , one thing is for sure we should have plenty of moisture in ground when all this dose melt.It should make lots of sap.

Jeffery G.
02-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Leroy, where abouts in Rock Creek are you? I'm in Lenox, at Rts 307 and 11.
Another member on here, Heus is in the Andover area.

Jeff

heus
02-13-2010, 07:59 AM
OneLegJohn is also in the Rock Creek area.

Buckeye mapler
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
According to the olympic coverage, Canada is warmer than ususal and we have more snow in the US than they do. Wow, what a trend that would be for southwest Ohio to begin tapping in March like the northerners and Canada tapping in January?? That would be crazy! Then we would see the nice long seasons. I could live with that. I have noticed that the ice cycles are getting longer and the roofs are losing the blanket of snow since the sun has been shining. Fingers crossed for goooooood sugaring weather!:mrgreen:

LawnMowerMan
02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
I see colder than average for the entire eastern US till at least the 26th of Feb. Now of course that is just colder than average not nessisarily below freezing. I think my avaerage temp by the end of Feb is 38 deg....so maybe by then..........

Buckeye mapler
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
another 7-11 inches falling now, but despite all that I am boiling tonight!

LEROY MILLER
02-15-2010, 06:21 PM
jeffery, I live on station st in rockcreek but my sugar house is in colebrook near rt 11.i have a friend around the corner from my sugar house he is a amish guy and has like 6400 taps on vac its a heck of an operation ,

johnallin
02-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I've been told that it's time to tap when the crows come back into the woods. Can't say I've ever done it but it's funny that they seem to show up either just before, or shortly after I tap.
So far this year - no crows yet, good I've got stuff to finish.

newman_maple
02-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Our average high temp now is at 43 and we will not be seeing that any time soon. Crazy year for us and I hope we don't miss out. I had to order chains for the Mule too with a foot or so of snow on my syrup paths.

bobsklarz
02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Snow's too deep; Air's too cold; Tree's are freezin! I'm waiting till March 1st, like the Amish around here! Good luck to ya all!:)

On the ledge
02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Went to Plymouth Ma for the annual boys winter weekend , brought my last pint of N.H. Maple syrup. My friend had a quart of Ohio syrup his brother sent him. It was from sunrise farm market in Burton Ohio on rte 87. any of you guys familiar with this farm? It was good but not as good as N.H. gold (lol). His brother lives in Penninsula and used to make his own , but stopped I don't know how you can do that but he did. Just wondering if this might be someone on the Maple trader

Buckeye mapler
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Last I heard Ohio had three top fianlist in the big syrup competition including one 1rst and second place finish. I don't remember seeing any NH too close to them.

maplehound
02-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Dave Hively got the best of show with his dark amber and he lives just a few miles from me. I think those who live in NH must have ruined there tast buds :)

LEROY MILLER
02-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I have never had syurp from anywhere but ohio ,dont know how it can any better .

Buckeye mapler
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I second that!

On the ledge
02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it is all good no matter where it comes from. I was just making a joke , didn't mean to get anyone mad,

maplehound
02-18-2010, 06:18 PM
nobody is mad we just know better :)