PDA

View Full Version : Repacking Syrup

Clan Delaney
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
This question has been bothering me for a long time.

I know from talking to other producers, and reading threads here, that it's fairly common practice to purchase syrup in bulk and repackage it for sale in your own containers. I can understand why it's done, and am even thinking about doing it myself. My only reservation is this - it feels like I'm, well, lying to my customers. Don't they expect that the syrup they're buying from me was made by me?

For example, if I go to Bascom's and purchase 5 gallons of syrup, can I (or should I) be repacking any of that into bottles that say "Massachusetts Maple Syrup". What if I put it into bottles that just have my own sugar house's info on it? Doesn't that imply that it was made in my sugar house?

Am I overlooking something very simple here - like that by repacking the syrup and double checking the brix and color that I make it "mine"? Anything you can offer from your own experiences would be helpful.

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Patrick,

Yes, buying bulk and repacking it is common. I don't know what laws, if any, apply to someone like you or I buying syrup out of state and then selling it with our name on it. I do know that once you pack it and put your name on it, its your liability if theres a problem with it. However, buying from a reputable source almost eliminates "problems" with the syrup.

This issue is the maple industry equivalent to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You hope your customers don't ask if its "all your own syrup" and you don't tell a soul that you purchased syrup to sell.

Steve

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I ran out of syrup nearly by end of July last year. To me that is a good thing as I can start making a waiting list for next year. I don't buy syrup from someone else and repackage it. Personal preference I guess, but when I sell someone syrup, I know how it was produced and I wouldn't feel right about selling syrup that someone else produced. If I was repackaging it for wholesale on a large scale, I would feel differently, but I like personal touch as I bottle every jug that is sold and have a part in it from start to finish.

KenWP
02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
When you buy bulk syrup at least up here they let you taste all the batchs so you can find something that matches yours so your customers won't get turned off by off tasteing syrup.

Clan Delaney
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
This issue is the maple industry equivalent to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You hope your customers don't ask if its "all your own syrup" and you don't tell a soul that you purchased syrup to sell.

Steve, I think I used that exact analogy when discussing this with my wife.

Brandon, in my gut I feel the same way - that if I'm selling to, essentially, my neighbor, it should be authentic. 100% a result of my labor.

My specific situation is this: we're going to be open to the public for the first time this year, and will inevitably have visitors. We have pre-sold a portion of what we think we'll produce this year, and so all of what we make in the first few weeks is already spoken for. So now I'm thinking... what do I sell to visitors during that time? And the question of buying and repacking came up. It comes down to what's "worse"" having nothing to sell, or selling something I didn't make? Maybe I'm just trying to have the best of both worlds?

3rdgen.maple
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Clan that is a tough question. I have pondered it for a long time as well. First off have you ever noticed the difference in taste from one area to the next? I barely filled orders last year and was worried I would have to buy bulk and repack as well. I was not thrilled about the idea either, but do you take the chance of losing a customer to another producer or fill their order with bulk? I keep adding taps every year and still sell out early. I often wondered about blending mine with bulk as well so I don't feel so bad about it. Maybe set a select amount aside to mix 50/50 to ease the mind a little.
Just does not seem right no matter how you look at it though.

Sugarmaker
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Pat,
Kind of like Brandon and your feelings too. I like to make it and sell it. If you market it so well that you run out of syrup then you will have to buy from someone else and re-package or stop selling. And a lot of folks do both.
I have purchased 5 gallons dark syrup from another producer several times and used it in value added product like mustard and BBQ. I do not repack as my own syrup.
Its a lot of work to make a lot of syrup. At some point you have to be comfortable with your production capabilities and your marketing growth.
I still like the idea that we made it ourselves. But it will not work for all producers.

Good luck and keep your customers happy with good quality maple product.

Chris

wnybassman
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Sounds like an expansion project is in the works for 2011 ;)

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I have not purchased syrup, but came close a couple of times. I too do not like the idea of "reselling". But like it or not, its standard operating procedure in the maple business.

Most folks can outsell what they make, myself included. This happens automatically with a good product and good marketing. I might have to buy syrup in the near future if I can not expand. But my equipment and free time to do this is "maxed out" right now. Time will tell.

As for your situation Pat, I would buy a little so you don't disappoint. I was told by a veteran producer many years ago to never say "I ran out". Thats the best way to turn off most customers and if they do go elsewhere for syrup, they will return there for more, not to you. This is Marketing 101.

A maple "Open House" with no maple syrup is like Outback Steakhouse running out of steak. Not a good thing.

And I'm sure all the steak at those restaurants does'nt come from down under,LOL!

Steve

802maple
02-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I guess it comes down to if you are treating it as a business or are you just trying to make some for your friends, family and neighbors. If the latter is what you are doing then I would sell what I make and that would be it. If you are doing it to make a living then you either have to make enough for the year or buy a quality syrup that meets your standards.

Jim Brown
02-08-2010, 09:18 AM
We go to every producer we buy from some time during the year and look at their operation and decide weather we bottle the syrup we buy from them and put our name on it or we wholesale it bulk.Very few of us can make as much as we can sell so buying to resell is the only answer if you want to grow at a rate you can handle. We do blend our own syrup into most of what we sell retail so we can say it has our syrup in it.

Jim

dnap63
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I had recently came upon the laws regarding repacking of maple syrup. In 2003 the U.S. goverment passed a food safety and bioterrorism law that requires food producers, including maple syrup, to be registered with the FDA. With this law there are requirements for sanitation ,lableing, and inspections. However as Farm producers that produce and sell our own product we are exempt, but if you purchase syrup and repack it for sale you must register with the FDA.

3rdgen.maple
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
dnap you are correct. Atleast for NY i do not know about other states. I was thinking about that after I posted earlier.
802 couple questions.... If you buy bulk and have it shipped to you how do you sample it first? Will the packer send you a sample to taste?
Could you also send some of your own syrup to a packer and have them blend it and pack it in your own bottles?

Amber Gold
02-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Clan, I pondered the same question myself when I ran out during the season and had to buy some. I believe in "don't ask, don't tell". If someone does ask me, then I do tell them but I don't offer the information. I also change the information stickers on the bottles to "Packaged by". If you're buying from a reputable source and repackaging it, you are selling the customer a product you stand behind. I only repackaged syrup that I tasted tested first and would eat myself. My preference is to not buy syrup from Bascom's, but from a local source...preferably someone you know. Also try to find someone with a similar flavor as yours so customers don't notice the transition.

Another thing is, if I sell out every year and need to buy in syrup to fill orders, then that means I need to expand my operation. I know that if I spend the money buying additional equipment and setting up another woods that I can move the additional product. I think producers should be producing most of what they need and only buying in what they need to supplement. We have a local producer who only produces 300 gal +/-, but they visit all the local fairs and farmers markets, and from what I understand, they buy in an additional 1500-1700 gal of syrup. I don't think they should be doing this and selling the product as their own. From what I hear, when asked they don't admit that it's not their syrup. I haven't spoken to them personally, but I know people who have. This practice I do disagree with. I think you should be selling mostly your syrup, not syrup from Bascom's.

dnap63
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
3rdgen, I believe it is a federal law and would apply to all states, I will have to look it up. I work for a town and an over zealous zoning board was trying to shut down a small maple producer citing it as a business not an agricultural enterprise. The law has requirements for sanitation that this guy did not meet in his sugar house. If he was buying and repacking syrup that aspect of his business is not considered agricultural and would be a retail business under state law and the zoning law of this town. Since he only sells what he produced it is considered agricultural and is exempt from the federal law and was allowed continue with his maple production. If your town has zoning be careful, many of the code officers and zoning board members do not understand that maple production is an agricultural endevor.

Clan Delaney
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Lots of great suggestions here, guys. Thanks.

I've still got a lot to think about, but I feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one who's wrestled with this issue.

Bucket Head
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Where are the 2003 FDA rules and regs. posted? How would any of us register for FDA approval if we did buy syrup to repackage?

Also, I assume to be "legal" you would have to have a 20C commercial kitchen to do this? There has to be more red tape to this somewhere.

Steve

johnallin
02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I've still got a lot to think about, but I feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one who's wrestled with this issue.
Clan,
It's a moral thing, the fact that you are wrestling with it tells me you aren't sure it's right. I started, own and operate a full time business, maple is a hobby for our family. In my daily dealings I know that if I tell the truth, I don't need a good memory - that has worked very well for me for over 30 years.
If you re-pack to keep people coming and hide that fact; it's likely they will not come back, if they find out and they feel they were mislead by you. Tell them up front - or label as mentioned earlier as "packaged by" and you won't lose anyone.
Good business is not "smoke and mirrors", it's not about just one sale to a customer, but the 100th sale to that customer.
My 2 cents.

3rdgen.maple
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Bucket Head the easiest place to find the ag laws regarding male syrup is just go to the New York Maple Producers Association website and there is a link on their website to it. It gets a little confusing. I think the first step would be joining the NYMPA and they will help you through the process, atleast that is what they told me at the Verona Conference. Process seems long and tedious. Few things they mentioned was, a source of hot water that is tested and passed, cleanliness, no animals in the building ie dogs cats mice etc, stainless is a plus, lead test, a seperate kitchen bottling area from the evaporator room. I personally have not search it hard enough yet but plan to. Is this info correct, not sure but that is what they told me.

802maple
02-09-2010, 06:49 AM
dnap you are correct. Atleast for NY i do not know about other states. I was thinking about that after I posted earlier.
802 couple questions.... If you buy bulk and have it shipped to you how do you sample it first? Will the packer send you a sample to taste?
Could you also send some of your own syrup to a packer and have them blend it and pack it in your own bottles?

We did not send a sample because we did not sell bulk other than to a very few commercial accounts. I am not sure how Bascom does do his bulk sales. There are most likely packers out there that would do the repacking for you, but if I were to do this I would only do it with a small company. Most large packers will only deal with 30 to 40 drum batches and that would mean that you would get your syrup mixed in with others in that batch and they would then package it. You would then lose your certain flavor. I guess because it would be out of my control I would have to really think about having someone else pack my syrup unless I could be there to watch the process.