PDA

View Full Version : insulating outside of arch

softmaple
02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
is there any type of insulation for the outside of an arch in my case the outside of a barrel evaporator. i get the evaporator to about 750 degrees maybe 800 for a good boil but i think im loosing alot of heat from the sides, its all bricked on the inside but i want to put someting on the outside too, the evaporator is outside right now, im trying to look for some local supplies from a hardware store if i can. any thoughts or questions are welcome.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2005, 07:20 AM
If you could wrap it in some ceramic blanket, I definitely think it would help some. There are usually several sellers on ebay that sell it. It is neat and it looks nice also and won't shed like fiberglass insulation! :D

mapleman3
02-22-2005, 09:30 AM
my first barrel evap I made I just used plain ole unfaced pink insulation wrapped on thew barrel with plins wire(no plastic on it) it got me by for the season..in this hobby you use what you can for cheap! just make sure it's away from the pan so if you happen to brush up against it it wont fall into it! Like brandon said "ceramic Blanket" works good too

softmaple
02-23-2005, 03:23 PM
did the pink insulation melt to the barrel?

mapleman3
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
not at all. after a while with the soot and spillovers it didn't look that great, but it did it's job cheaply :wink:

John Burton
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
if space were not a factor i would consider laying up a cinder block heat jacket around three sides. depending on how fancy you want to get you dont have to cement them just lay em up dry. just a thought