PDA

View Full Version : brick, board, or both

boondocker
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
im sure if i looked hard enough i could find the answer to this but imany to lazy:D im building a leader clone 2x6, do i need to put in board before the brick or can i just brick it????? i was gonna just brick it over the tin and bottom. any advice would be great thanks guys josh

sugar man
02-07-2010, 05:06 PM
when i rebricked my evaporator i used 1/2 blanket then 1/2 fire brick works very well. i found the blanket on ebay not a bad price.:)

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't have any experience with the board insulation, so I can't comment on that. I went with 1", 2600 degree blanket and half bricks. I'm very pleased with this setup.

Steve

johnallin
02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I am getting ready to brick a Leader 2X6 raised flue Patriot evaporator and everything I've read so far indicates that the 1" ceramic board - from Bascoms in my case - is the way to go. It's supposed to be easy to cut and fit in place and ridgid enough to give the bricks a stable base. Am using a combination of full and split bricks and refractory cement.

Only other experience was with a Leader half pint three years ago; did not use the ceramic board and it seemed to work just fine.

Will know better, this time next week after I'm finished but for now that's my plan and I'm sticking to it...

3rdgen.maple
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I would personally not use one without the other. Arch board or other insulation keeps the heat in the arch and the brick protects it. Brick alone will get cherry red and not hold the heat in.

KenWP
02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I had to use the 1 inch ceramic blanket and could not use brick as it was to thick so sheeted the inside with sheet metal roofing last year. Never even burnt the paint off the outside of the barrel. I had to replace the metal in the back twice during the season as it sort of disappeared. This year I had the brilliant idea the sheet the inside with 9 inch band saw blades until I tried to drill a hole in the crap. I had to go find some different steel finally. Its 3 times as thick so hopefully lasts the season.