PDA

View Full Version : tapping below freezing

wkies
02-07-2010, 03:13 PM
It been a cold early Feb here in SW Connecticut. I would like to get my taps in later next week. I was wondering if there were any issues with tapping when temps are below freezing?

Loun
02-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Front what ive read, the danger is if the bark is frozen you can split it and then the tap holes will leak sap and im sure its not great for the tree

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I would imagine the big producers have been tapping for a while now and they have to start way early just to be ready when it starts. I would guess they tap regardless of temps, just are probably more careful. I like to tap when trees are thawed but that doesn't always happen.

Jim Brown
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
We will tap this coming Saturday regardless of the temp. We have tapped at 0 degrees and at 35degrees If your careful like Brandon said you will be fine. You may have to go around and snug up a couple later but for the most part we have had no trouble but I also have an experienced tapping crew. Same group of 4 folks for the last 5 years.

Jim

maplecrest
02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
i will tap on cold days, i like the temps around 20 degrees and warmer. did not tap today wind chill here was 10 below. tap spouts until they seat and stop. that last hit will crack the tree. i cracked one yesterday, you will know it by the sound it makes.

markct
02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
i dont know how frozen the trees are here in ct, i was out this afternoon and put a hole in a tree to install an eyebolt for a short section of mainline and sap was running out before i got a chance to screw in the eyebolt. im still planning to wait atleast a week maybe two before i tap

PerryW
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I other tap below freezing but I don't use a hammer to whack the plastic spouts. I thwack them in with a small pair of cutting pliers.