PDA

View Full Version : My Sugar Shack w/ pics

valleyman
02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I finally got a roof over my block evaporator! Meager I know, but it's still rewarding. It's not quite done. I want to finish off the front and back.

vtsnowedin
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
:) Some rainy day in March it will seem like a castle. My first set up was an old swing set with a black plastic thrown over it. The arch was laid up dry field stones I took out of one of the stone walls and the pan was a much used 22"x36" galvanized finish pan my mother bought for me. I was 12 and didn't have any money of my own.

Haynes Forest Products
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Took 4 years before I was out of the weather. Some day that will be the wood shed to the real thing :)

umpwood1
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Very nice. It looks identical to the one I just built. Except I used 11'6" trailer trusses, which I have 500 of, if anyone needs any.
Umpwood

wnybassman
02-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Sweet!! I've been at this 12 years and have yet to put a roof over my head. I'm thinking some rope and a tarp for this year to get the ball rolling. March is some crappy weather dontcha know? :cool:

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I like it! Were still outdoors too. Although we've been toying with the idea of a building. But we'll be outside this year.

Pray for dry and sunny boiling days!

Steve

halladaymaple
02-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Looks great, I also remember the old days of boiling outside. Alot of fun and alot of time boiling. Enjoy and get the family and neigbours involved - its something you will never forget! But remember - Mighty oaks grow from small acorns

Darrell
Halladay Maple

valleyman
02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Finished off the front a bit just to neaten her up. Tried my hand at woodburning too.

MapleME
02-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Valley, how does that pre heater set up work for you? Thinking about trying that this year.

MapleME

3rdgen.maple
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Valley you have some artistic talent. That plaque looks awesome. I am thinking maybe we should be sending you pictures so you can make one for all of us:D a little side business you know. Shack is looking good too.

valleyman
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
3rd Gen,

Thanks! Hope my syrup comes out good. That's the important thing here. Sure I'll do signs. After syrup season.

MapleMe,
Haven't tried it yet. I based it on MapleTrader members. Two things I didnt do:
1. Use 1/2" instead of 3/8"(which I used)
2. An alternate path for the sap to take (in case ) I may do that before the weekend.

I've been alerted to the fact that the sap may get too hot and boil in the coil and stop the flow.:o I thought I was doing a good thing to get the sap to temp. Not even realizing that it might get too hot. Live and Learn.

MapleME
02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
you know an idea is to not wrap the copper around the stack, but start by wrapping it around something 2" wider...for example, I have a 6" stack, so maybe find something that is 8" wide and coil it that way. Then slip it over your stack, but it would give you 1" on each side...probably not hot enough to boil, but close enough to seriously transfer some heat.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Nice shack and sign is awesome!!!

lpakiz
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Valleyman,
If your preheat is not hot enough, don't be afraid to wrap the pre-heater in fiberglass insulation. I also installed a tin sleeve over the insulation and it was just about right for temp.
VERY nice sign..Hope I can keep track of you til after the season. I would be interested in what you could do to make a sign using my bottle logo.

Sugarmaker
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Valley,
You should be nice a toasty and dry in that new building! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Regards,
Chris

valleyman
02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Ipakiz,

Thanks for the tip. I boiled this weekend and the coil did not get as hot as I'd hoped. I will insulate and put a section of leftover 6" stack split open to fit or Ill buy a 7" or 8" section and do the same with it.