PDA

View Full Version : My minor D Day

H. Walker
02-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Sep. 19th I had a forage harvester bite my hand and almost 5 months and 2 surgeries later I'll find out tomorrow if I'll get use of my index finger again. If the tendon graft hasn't worked I told them to cut the finger off. As long as the hand works I don't think I'll miss 1 digit. But, I've got to think positive and when they pull the cast off tomorrow I'll have full use, right guys! Sugar making is getting awfull close and lots of work yet to do.

3rdgen.maple
02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Walker good luck tomarrow. Hope the finger stays where it belongs.

red maples
02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
:o oohhh sorry man I hope everything works out OK. If not think possitive. You have to learn to count by 9's. Knew a guy lost his ring finger in a bailer or something. did know it was even gone because his hands were so cold. he was fine.

but I am sure you'll be fine. keep us posted

3rdgen.maple
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I know a guy who cut 4 fingers off just behind the nail on a table saw 2 years ago. The idiot took them out of the glove and taped them back on with electrical tape till he got home and did a home doctor routine on them and dang if they did not heal.

marc
02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
H. Walker, I hope you finger is o.k., I lost half (the top half:) ) of my index finger many years ago. I have gotten by just fine without it. Only time I miss it is when typing and it is a little sensitive to the cold. It sounds like you have given it good care. Good Luck.

maplekid
02-07-2010, 01:40 PM
one of my buddies lost half of his thumb to a dog and gets by just fine... my buddy jokes and asks "how many fingers am i holding up" id say ten hed say nope nine and a half idiot. haha. think good and good things happen.

Bucket Head
02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't worry about a missing finger. I know a lot of folks who have lost one and get by fine without it.

Most folks figure were missing something from "upstairs" when they see what we go through to make syrup!

Good luck with the hand and good luck this season!

Steve

Farmboy
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Yaa you will get by without a finger. My dad lost the top 1/4 of his index finger in a barn door latch. Both of my grandpas little fingers doesn't work rite from all those years swinging a hammer on a framing crew. He gets by just fine and still works when he wants to. He's semi retired and works when he wants to.

Sugarmaker
02-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Walker,
Hope things are good with you! May your recovery be speedy! Stay positive! Sounds like you have the right attitude! Hope your syrup season is good.

Regards,
Chris

H. Walker
02-09-2010, 07:38 AM
For now it's not just the finger, it's every time they do more surgeries the whole hand is immobilized. Like you guys say, I'll get along fine without 1 finger.

Update: Dr. says "Do NOT try to use it yet", a couple of weeks of "Passive" therapy.......... I've heard tell of a one armed wallpaper hanger is there such a thing as a one armed sugarmaker?

michelle32
02-09-2010, 07:48 AM
My brother lost three fingers on one hand. ( his dominate hand ) Had to learn how to wright left handed and everything and he can do every thing he did before. Its just a learning curve you will get it done. The only thing is the cold really bothers that hand now. Keith

Dill
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Farming is not a safe occupation. My wife's grandfather has just a thumb left on his right hand from a corn picker, and her father is missing his right index finger from a corn chopper. Her brother and I still have all of ours, but there is still time.
Dave (her grandfather) farmed for 65 more years like that. Its amazing what he could do with what was left. Pick up a bale of hay, carry a milk bucket with his wrist.

ennismaple
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Harold - Sorry to hear about your bad luck last fall. It could have been far worse! Looks like you need a young lad to feed the fire while you supervise!