PDA

View Full Version : Propane Arch

mapledave
02-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I am building a 2x6 arch and would like to use propane. My question is does any body have an idea of what to use for a gun. I was thinking maybe a simple weed burner. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Airborne Bob
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't think a simple weed burner will not put out nearly enough BTU's to get a 2x6 to steam, let alone boil. I've never been able to get snow and ice to melt from concrete from 6' away with a weed burner, so I think you'd be wasting your time trying to blow the heat around instead of directing it to the pan in several areas.
I also use propane but on a much smaller scale. My new 'arch' is insulated and for burners I use two 58k BTU fish fryers. Although not completed yet, it will be like a super-modified turkey fryer.
Lapierre makes a propane job, but I have no idea what they use for burners, or the fuel consumption rate / gal. of syrup.
Hopefully I'll get more 'bang for the buck' this year.

mapledave
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't think a simple weed burner will not put out nearly enough BTU's to get a 2x6 to steam, let alone boil. I've never been able to get snow and ice to melt from concrete from 6' away with a weed burner, so I think you'd be wasting your time trying to blow the heat around instead of directing it to the pan in several areas.
I also use propane but on a much smaller scale. My new 'arch' is insulated and for burners I use two 58k BTU fish fryers. Although not completed yet, it will be like a super-modified turkey fryer.
Lapierre makes a propane job, but I have no idea what they use for burners, or the fuel consumption rate / gal. of syrup.

I was also using turkey fryer burners last year. I had 4 and used a lot of propane. Is your arch going to look like a fuel oil arch. Dave

maple flats
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Gas rigs, either propane or natural gas have long burner tubes with multiple holes (gas outlets). You should be able to find something like a old stove oven burner and mount one behind the other. Might even be that 1 would work, heat the front and as heat flows thru to stack it will heat the back flues. Force the heat up around or into the flues (raised or drop). You will need to get a big tank and not 20# tanks or the cost will drive you crazy. Delivered in 100# or larger is way more reasonably priced.

MartinP
02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Last year I used 1" Black pipe with end caps/ Drill out one and connect the regulator to it and grill 4 , 1/4 holes for air. Then cut half way through multiple times about 1" between cuts. pipes I used were 24" long and cuts for 18" on each. 2 pipe with elbows together off 1 regulator. Worked ok. 20lb tank would last about 16 hrs.

frostbite
02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello all - new to this site. Was considering utilizing some gas grill burners. Think that would work.

vtsnowedin
02-06-2010, 12:57 AM
A rose bud torch (some call it a western hotspotter) will work but eats gas at a prodigious rate. If you haven't seen one they are steel 3/8 or 1/2 pipe about three feet long with a shut off on one end where it threads onto the supply from the regulator and a four inch piece of two to three inch pipe welded on to the other end with four tabs to center it on the 1/2 inch pipe. The gaps between the tabs let in mixing air. Makes a hot flame that roars more then a turkey fryer. Construction crews use them to heat up paver parts and asphalt pipes on distributer trucks and to melt on bridge membrane water proofing. Simple and effective.
One of the crudest set ups I have seen was an outfit that was using a four barrel stocktank as a preheater. It was mounted up eve high in the sugar house and had a rose bud torch going full blast directed up at the bottom at a shallow angle. The sap was boiling in this galvy stock tank and it babbled like a brook. This was many many moon ago before galvy and lead solder became vorboten.

mark bolton
02-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Consider an old pool heater burner. They measure about 18" x 24" and kick out around 150,000 BTU. Often these pool heaters start to leak and people throw them out but the gas valve and burner work just fine.

Jim Brown
02-06-2010, 06:37 AM
As some said earlier be ready to get your wallet out when it comes to buying propane. Boiling with propane is NOT CHEAP. Did it one year on some first run trees to make a small amount of light and that was the most expensive syrup I ever made!!(good though).

my two cents
Jim

Cabinet man
02-06-2010, 08:03 AM
post edited

Airborne Bob
02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Dave, you might want to try to get a hold of a propane stove (or two) from a camper. You'd be able to regulate each burner and cover alot of the 2x6 pan area.
My outfit will be small...maybe even tiny. Since I rent, and don't have alot of time and space, this ought to do the trick. I'll only be boiling for about a week, so I'm looking for better performance with a faster evaporation rate than with a standard turkey fryer. She'll look like a mini oil rig. Insulated and flashed sides made out of cement board. Looking to keep the heat in the 'arch' and going to the pan. Cool on the outside and hot as you know what on the inside.
Every year is a new experiment. And if I ever get a hold of a welder.....

mapledave
02-07-2010, 08:21 PM
A rose bud torch (some call it a western hotspotter) will work but eats gas at a prodigious rate. If you haven't seen one they are steel 3/8 or 1/2 pipe about three feet long with a shut off on one end where it threads onto the supply from the regulator and a four inch piece of two to three inch pipe welded on to the other end with four tabs to center it on the 1/2 inch pipe. The gaps between the tabs let in mixing air. Makes a hot flame that roars more then a turkey fryer. Construction crews use them to heat up paver parts and asphalt pipes on distributer trucks and to melt on bridge membrane water proofing. Simple and effective.
One of the crudest set ups I have seen was an outfit that was using a four barrel stocktank as a preheater. It was mounted up eve high in the sugar house and had a rose bud torch going full blast directed up at the bottom at a shallow angle. The sap was boiling in this galvy stock tank and it babbled like a brook. This was many many moon ago before galvy and lead solder became vorboten.
Do you think I could use a 300-500 btu weed burner all day without alot of danger in getting to hot. I plan on making arch just like fuel oil arch but with different burner. I would think once I get a good boil going I could turn it down a bit to save propane. Thanks for your help Dave

mapledave
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Gas rigs, either propane or natural gas have long burner tubes with multiple holes (gas outlets). You should be able to find something like a old stove oven burner and mount one behind the other. Might even be that 1 would work, heat the front and as heat flows thru to stack it will heat the back flues. Force the heat up around or into the flues (raised or drop). You will need to get a big tank and not 20# tanks or the cost will drive you crazy. Delivered in 100# or larger is way more reasonably priced.

I talked to the guy at Leader and he told me the tube type are for finishing pans and do not put out enough btu's for a 2x6 with drop flues. I need a big gun with lots of flame. Thanks Dave

mapledave
02-07-2010, 08:31 PM
They make some 500k btu weed burners, but they seem a little crude and would be a little hard on propane. Thanks dave

Greg Morin
02-27-2010, 09:58 PM
http://www.bbq.com/category_name_Burners_path_7113-7133.html

try this

Clan Delaney
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Check out this guy's webpage (http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml). He's designed lots of different burners for DIY forge applications. All can be made with part off the shelf at your local hardware store. And they pack a wallop! They are designed to melt metal, after all. I'll bet you could get a boil to jump a foot out of the pan with one of those!

WebbyMaple
02-28-2010, 08:58 AM
We have a 2x4 propound evaporator hooked up to our buried 1500 gal tank. The tank also heats our barn and is for the kitchen stove. We have 3 of these burners hooked up under the pan. http://www.bbq.com/item_name_Low-Pressure-10-Inch-Burner_path_7113-7133_item_7564.html

If you want me to send you pics just pm me

kinalfarm
02-28-2010, 12:35 PM
those burners look like they will work 150k btu?

ByGone Acres
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
As for crazy, I got there years ago!
Last year I bought one of the Lapierre Waterloo Small propane evaporators. Its 16" x 48" and has three separately plumbed propane burners each of 65,000 BTUs. I think I boiled off about 8-10 gallons per hour. I don't recall my propane usage, but that can be estimated since a pound of propane produces a given number of BTUs. Look for the calculations online.
One of the previous posts shows a low-pressure 70,000 BTU burner, but if you're looking for heat I might suggest high-pressure 170,000 BTU burners. Agri-supply is one place to get them and they don't cost much at all. I bought a couple of them last year to refurbish my turkey fryers.
Good luck!
Dave
p.s. I agree propane isn't budget friendly, but I really like the instant on and instant off.