PDA

View Full Version : Electric releaser freezing question

HazensNotchSugarShack
02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
In the attached drawing I have 2 1" main lines going to an electric releaser inside the sugar house to then be pumped 20' up (1" line) and sloped down into storage tanks to then be able to gravity feed tank above preheater! I am planning on putting a check valve after the pump to stop vacuum loss but will this cause the 20' vertilcal rise to freeze overnight! I was wondering if I teed the line used a solonoid valve that would open and dump back into the releaser Or am I over thinking this thing? Rick

mapleack
02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Might be simpler to just put your storage tanks on grade at the sugar house, so the releaser pump line drains into them, then pump to your head tank as you boil.

HazensNotchSugarShack
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Thought of doing that but the more you pump the lower the grade of syrup. But if it was a mechanical relaser and drained down to the tanks and pump up once to the head tank. I would have to rig the pump to run according to head tank level?

farmall h
02-05-2010, 07:51 PM
HazensNotch, how big is your tank outside?

HazensNotchSugarShack
02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
HazensNotch, how big is your tank outside?

Farmall: !500 and 550 together! I think I may be better off moving the tanks lower, use a mechanical releaser than pump up to the head tank!

farmall h
02-06-2010, 05:41 PM
After looking at your fanatastic sketch I was wondering why you can't locate the tanks in the sugarhse on a platform so they are above your evaporator. Mine is set up that way...unless you do not have the room. Another thing you could do is build a platform outside that is above your rig and put the tanks on that. Gravity feed to your evaporator.

My location of the sugarhouse is in a valley. Very steep grade for main line directly to the tanks which are in the sugarhouse.

HazensNotchSugarShack
02-07-2010, 04:19 PM
The "fantastic" schetch lacked scaling of available room in the sugarhouse and greater slope than in actuality for the main lines. Sounds like pumping up to the head tank is the way to go! Third time is a charm for setting tanks! Glad to have your feedback Farm to help minimize my ROOKIE mistakes! Rick